Morning Report 10/25/2012
Published: October 25,2012
Time posted: 9:48 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Downey-Franzen Senate District 49 race: Money pours from the sky in Edina 10/24/12 3:20 p.m.
- Majority math figures in northwestern MN races 10/24/12 3:07 p.m.
- Top races draw less outside ad cash than expected 10/24/12 2:59 p.m.
- SCSU Survey: Voters poised to defeat marriage amendment, pass photo ID 10/24/12 4:12 p.m.
- Capitol 10: Great Debaters 10/24/12 2:37 p.m.
- MMB’s O’Brien takes on challenge of public worker retirement wave 10/24/12 2:36 p.m.
- Stephen B. Young: Lock and load: There are infidels among us! 10/24/12 2:52 p.m.
- Steven Schier: On amendments, polls aren’t saying what we think they are 10/24/12 2:48 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Remembering Wellstone on the Iron Range, Minnesota Brown
- MN Legislative Democrats 2012 – A Favoring Trendline, mnpACT!
- Handicapping the Senate, Shot in the Dark
- Is the Bachmann-Graves race as close as the narrative suggests?, News Cut
- Wellstone legacy remains strong 10 years after fatal plane crash, Capitol Chatter
- PoliGraph: some caveats, but Obermueller’s ad holds up, Capitol View
- Dayton splits cost of state flight as he splits his time between governing and campaigning, Hot Dish Politics
- Voter ID and the person in the military, News Cut
- Whatever, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
- St. Cloud Times endorses GOP legislators, Let Freedom Ring
- Common questions from conservatives, True North
- Are the Democrats worried about Minnesota?, Power Line
- No ads, but presidential campaigns have spent more than $15 million in Minnesota, Hot Dish Politics
- In one state House race, mailers lead voters astray, Capitol View
- Pastor backing marriage amendment apologizes for Nazi references, Hot Dish Politics
- Minnesotans for Marriage: Nazi reference out of context, ‘his point was absolutely correct’, Thug in Pastels
- Marriage amendment messaging: Adolf Hitler vs. The Golden Rule, politics.mn
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Mining companies bid to explore under NE Minnesota land, Duluth News Tribune 10/24/12 6:24 p.m.
- Minnesota wind farm faces ownership fight, Star Tribune 10/24/12 11:57 a.m.
- Imation to cut 20 percent of work force, Finance and Commerce 10/24/12 4:46 p.m.
- Imation to cut global workforce by 20 percent, Star Tribune 10/24/12 12:19 p.m.
- Charges fly over military voting in Voter ID debate, MPR
- Voter ID amendment: Battle grows heated over ad claims, Pioneer Press 10/24/12 7:11 p.m.
- Hastings minister’s Hitler reference draws outcry, MPR
- Quist releases personal financial disclosure form, New Ulm Journal
- House District 55B: Different parties, but similar paths to endorsement, Jordan Independent 10/24/12 5:57 p.m.
- House District 24A candidates pledge to use listening skills, Mankato Free Press
- Steelworker stands by statement after DFL ad pulled, Duluth News Tribune 10/25/12 12:00 a.m.
- Businessman Jim Graves is new type of challenge for Bachmann, MPR
- ‘Tracker Mike’ and other tales: Can Bachmann survive toughest test?, CNN 10/24/12 9:06 a.m.
- Ranchers laud wolf hunt, but say it won’t help save livestock, MPR
- Hog farm pays penalty for manure violation, MPR
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Winona County tax levy to drop 3 percent, Winona Daily News
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Lori Sturdevant: Wellstone’s missing voice, Star Tribune 10/24/12 9:23 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Competitive races in Minnesota Districts 42, 43, Pioneer Press 10/24/12 3:46 p.m.
- Editorial: Vote ‘yes’ on St. Paul school district levy, Star Tribune 10/24/12 7:18 p.m.
- Tribe made us a winning proposition, Jordan Independent 10/25/12 6:21 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- The deep roots of the marriage debate, MPR
- Concerns emerge over past statements by member of Anoka-Hennepin bullying task force, MPR
- Marriage amendment: Soul-searching over a future as Catholics, Star Tribune 10/25/12 5:44 a.m.
- Marriage amendment: Bible teaching trumps the stand of ELCA, Star Tribune 10/25/12 5:44 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- State seeks commissioning agent for Capitol restoration project, Finance and Commerce 10/24/12 4:24 p.m.
- Minneapolis considers closing barge port, MPR
- New park, urban farm planned for Frogtown, Pioneer Press 10/24/12 6:40 p.m.
- Electronic pull tabs top $1 million in sales, WCCO 10/24/12 12:15 p.m.
- Northstar traffic gets a bump; big questions loom, Finance and Commerce 10/25/12 7:30 a.m.