Morning Report 9/11/2012
Published: September 11,2012
Time posted: 9:54 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- State tax revenue rises in August 9/10/12 5:14 p.m.
- DFL poll shows Bachmann up by 5 percentage points 9/10/12 11:28 a.m.
- ABM to run statewide ads criticizing Republican legislators 9/10/12 11:10 a.m.
- Erik Simonson wins backing of Duluth DFLers in the wake of Gauthier sex scandal 9/10/12 10:23 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Michele Bachmann: the long shadow on Minnesota down ticket races, MN Progressive Project
- Live from Minneapolis with Mary Kiffmeyer, Power Line
- DFLers say Graves closing in on Bachmann, Hot Dish Politics
- Don’t discredit polls released by campaigns, politics.mn
- Minnesota takes in more tax money than expected in August, Capitol View
- Former GOP Senate candidate launches PAC, Capitol View
- MN GOP delegates bash Romney over Obamacare, Hot Dish Politics
- Alliance for a Better Minnesota begins running ads in race for legislature, MN Progressive Project
- Keith Downey exposes Photo ID myths, Let Freedom Ring
- Mayo Civic Center fails to make top of DEED grant list, Political Notebook
- Does Minneapolis Police Department have a policy on personal recording devices?, Open Secrets
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Survey sees construction jobs uptick in Minnesota, Finance and Commerce 9/11/12 7:15 a.m.
- Aug. tax collections beat projections, putting MN $31 million ahead for current budget year, AP
- Duluth, Litchfield, St. Paul in lead for $47.5M in state grants, MPR
- Mankato civic center expansion gets unfavorable DEED ranking, Mankato Free Press
- St. Louis County gets first big check from taconite mining, Duluth News Tribune 9/11/12 7:11 a.m.
- Minnesota to keep enforcing campaign disclosure law; federal judge called part of it ‘onerous’, AP
- Forum Wednesday on marriage amendment, Winona Daily News
- Legislative candidates debate Wednesday on Iron Range, Duluth News Tribune 9/11/12 12:00 a.m.
- Some MN House members spend a lot of money to raise more, MPR
- DFL poll: Bachmann lead in race shrinking, Star Tribune 9/10/12 10:14 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Peterson: Farm bill passage not likely, Marshall Independent
- Dayton proclaims Patriot Day; encourages flags at half-staff, Alexandria Echo Press 9/10/12 4:51 p.m.
- For-profit Globe University’s recruitment, revenue tactics questioned, MPR
- U ponders future of its golf course, Star Tribune 9/11/12 12:18 a.m.
- Wind farm towers: They’re taller, slower with more power, Star Tribune 9/10/12 9:09 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Alexandria proposes 3 percent levy increase for 2013, Alexandria Echo Press 9/11 12 12:00 a.m.
- Mankato City Council sets max levy hike of 2.63 percent; ‘a ton of work left to do’, Mankato Free Press
- City pays more for police, inspections, Jordan Independent
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Allen Saunders: A farmer for Joe Gimse, West Central Tribune 9/11/12 12:00 a.m.
- Former St. Paul Council Member Lee Helgen heads nonprofit land-use group, MinnPost 9/10/12 11:36 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Report: More children on food stamps, MPR
- Minnesota boy recovers from swine flu; fourth case linked to State Fair, Pioneer Press 9/10/12 6:10 p.m.
- Minn. schools will report chickenpox cases, MPR
- Report indicates more homelessness, greater renter and homeowner disparity, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Lowertown ballpark scores high in Minnesota grant program; St. Paul seeks $27 million, Pioneer Press 9/10/12 6:42 p.m.
- St. Paul ballpark tops list of finalists for $47 million in state grants, Star Tribune 9/11/12 12:33 a.m.
- Council panel votes down fee increase, Star Tribune 9/10/12 3:43 p.m.
- St. Paul Hamm’s site: Half hums, other half hampers, Pioneer Press 9/10/12 1:40 p.m.
- Business owner serves LRT workers free lunch, Finance and Commerce 9/10/12 5:08 p.m.
- MnDOT delays move of Hastings Bridge span, 9/10/12 7:05 p.m.
Z-FILE: IRRESISTIBLE STORIES BEYOND THE PURVIEW OF PIM