Morning Report 8/9/2012
Published: August 9,2012
Time posted: 11:48 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- West-suburban tussles take center stage in GOP primaries 8/8/12 5:22 p.m.
- DFLers compete for safe seats in Twin Cities and on Iron Range 8/8/12 5:17 p.m.
- Three vie for Champion’s old House seat 8/8/12 5:05 p.m.
- Dane Smith: Humphrey’s happy fight for racial equity and harmony 8/8/12 4:49 p.m.
- Capitol 10: Top fundraising campaigns 8/8/12 4:34 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- PoliGraph: Nolan budget claim complicated, but mostly wrong, Capitol View
- Wikipedia locks Pawlenty page following Colbert stunt, Capitol View
- Big names split on DFL primary in Eighth congressional district, Hot Dish Politics
- More Parry endorsements–er, letters to the editor published in Southern Minnesota newspaper, Bluestem Prairie
- Mike and Ben have a heart-to-heart, LeftMN
- Clark, Nolan spar over negative ad in MN-8, Minnesota Brown
- Klobuchar fights for higher gas prices at FarmFest, Let Freedom Ring
- Bills wants Minnesota more like North Dakota, Capitol Chatter
- A look at the congressional primaries, LeftMN
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Key financiers back up Schulze bid for Best Buy, Star Tribune 8/8/12 9:49 p.m.
- Outside groups spend big on 8th District race, AP
- Mondale endorses Nolan in the 8th District DFL primary race, MinnPost 8/8/12 10:10 a.m.
- Parry talks bipartisan, slams DFL, Dayton, Mankato Free Press
- U.S. Senate candidates make hay – politically – during Farmfest forum, Star Tribune 8/8/12 10:03 p.m.
- In first Senate debate, Klobuchar, Bills spar over farm spending, Pioneer Press 8/8/12 10:28 p.m.
- Kurt Bills takes aim at Sen. Klobuchar, farm bill, govt. subsidies, MPR
- Bills, Klobuchar disagree on farm bill — and nearly everything else — at Farmfest, MinnPost 8/8/12 4:00 p.m.
- National Democrats add Graves to emerging candidates list, MinnPost 8/8/12 5:01 p.m.
- Candidates line up for North Minneapolis House seat, Star Tribune 8/8/12 3:13 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Rep. Collin Peterson: ‘It’s no wonder nobody likes Congress anymore’, MinnPost 8/8/12 10:12 a.m.
- Lakeville elementary school to serve as early childhood center, Pioneer Press 8/8/12 8:39 p.m.
- Metal shredder wants pollution rules eased, AP
- Minnesota ponders fate of aging coal-burning power plants, Star Tribune 8/8/12 10:11 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Data requests show cities can’t keep email addresses private, MPR
- Nelson: County has improved its finances, Albert Lea Tribune
- Public employee contracts face tough review, MPR
- Pelowski, Miller to appear at Lewiston Chamber event next week, Winona Daily News
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- John Kriesel: My history in Iraq is only part of me, Pioneer Press 8/8/12 12:22 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Parry’s pitiful, pathetic politics, Winona Daily News
- Editorial: Fresh voices for state Senate, House, Star Tribune 8/8/12 7:27 p.m.
- Will governor put money where his mouth is?, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/9/12 7:02 a.m.
- Editorial: Candidate’s attack on governor was irresponsible, Star Tribune 8/8/12 9:52 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Why does Minnesota’s handgun permit map look like this?, MPR
- Boy’s death from amoeba infection prompts Lily Lake beach closure, MPR
- New federal rules require student take fruits and veggies starting this fall, MPR