Morning Report 8/6/12
Published: August 6,2012
Time posted: 9:31 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Money magnets: Some candidates have significant financial advantage over rivals , 8/3/12 3:27 p.m.
- The storm before the quiet: Parry, Quist trade increasingly bitter blows, 8/3/12 3:15 p.m.
- Lessard-Sams hears the call of the prairie, 8/3/12 3:10 p.m.
- Phil Krinkie: Beware of the ‘property tax flap’, 8/3/12 3:00 p.m.
- Campaign roundup: Bachmann leads July fundraising among MN congressional candidates, 8/3/12 12:07 p.m.
- Dayton’s MN SupCo options include a former U.S. Senate candidate and three judges, 8/3/12 1:02 p.m.
- Corn farmers struggle to cope with rootworm resistance, MPR 8/4/12
- USDA closing 5 offices in Minn., MPR 8/5/12
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Emo Senator: Shocker! Star Tribune takes Allen Quist to the CD1 Republican primary cotillion!, Bluestem Prairie
- Republican U.S. Senate primary candidate slams GOP endorsed candidate, Hot Dish Politics
- Jim Graves’ conflicts , Let Freedom Ring
- Bills campaign nearly out of cash, Capitol View
- St. Paul Attorney declines to prosecute Sutton, Capitol View
- Primary Colors: Strib To Peasants: “Know Thy Places, Knaves!”, Shot in the Dark
- Franken: Humphrey Would Oppose Voter Photo ID, Anti-Gay Marriage Amendments, The Uptake
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Officials look for new uses at Verso site in Sartell, St. Cloud Times 8/4/12 10:40 p.m.
- Hiring rises but uncertainty makes some nervous, MPR 8/4/12
- Building sale stuns some in Dinkytown , Finance and Commerce 8/3/12 3:48 p.m.
- Hammes Co. gets nod for key work on stadium project (update), Finance and Commerce 8/3/12 3:48 p.m.
- Construction begins at Minn.’s newest state park, AP 8/5/12
- Tea Party Holding Firm for Round 2, New York Times 8/5/12
- Gay Rights Group Drops $1M In Gay Marriage Fights, AP 8/3/12
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- 17 Minn. schools make Forbes’ list of top colleges, Bring Me The News 8/5/12
- TiZA, ACLU settle lawsuit, MPR 8/3/12
- Could tougher voting laws squelch the youth vote?, AP 8/4/12
- Parry, Quist clash in bruising Minn. GOP primary, AP 8/5/12
- Dems. in countdown to 8th District primary, MPR 8/6/12
- Aug. 14 primary election turnout expected to be spotty, Bemidji Pioneer 8/4/12 12:00 a.m.
- War on invasive species ramps up in west metro, Star Tribune 8/5/12 9:53 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Will Jordan rehab city hall?, Jordan Independent 8/5/12 19:42 p.m.
- Wabasha County study commission: 3 commissioners misled public, Rochester Post Bulletin 8/4/12 7:39 p.m.
- Rice to update council chambers, St. Cloud Times 8/5/12 11:37 p.m.
- Republicans may sink state employee pacts, AP 8/3/12
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Joe Soucheray: Chick-fil-A is another victim of the leftists, Pioneer Press 8/5/12 9:27 p.m.
- Minnesota muslims stand with Sikhs after Wisconsin shooting,Star Tribune 8/6/12 1:30 a.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Women win office as much as men (but they run less), Star Tribune 8/5/12
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Seeking leaders in GOP strongholds, Star Tribune 8/5/12 6:50 p.m.
- Editorial: Allen Quist, Tarryl Clark earn primary endorsement, Star Tribune 8/4/12 11:23 p.m.
- Political heavyweights share predictions on Romney VP selection, The Hill 8/5/12 2:45 p.m.
- Ex-Pres. Clinton attends Humphrey statue unveiling, AP 8/4/12 2:04 p.m.
- Clinton, Mondale, Dayton Among Political Power Players Paying Tribute to Hubert Humphrey, KARE 11 8/4/12 8:16 p.m.
- Tim Pawlenty faces tax return scrutiny as Romney VP choice nears, The Guardian 8/3/12 11:12 p.m.
- Parry brings businessman’s perspective to the race, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/4/12 10:49 p.m, Rochester Post Bulletin 8/4/12 10:49 p.m.
- Fears about nation’s rising debt spurs Quist to run, Rochester Post Bulletin 8/3/12 10:56 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Thieves hit several booths at Uptown Art Fair, Star Tribune 8/6/12 5:56 a.m.
- Minneapolis spent millions on no-bid IT contract, Star Tribune 8/4/12 9:04 p.m.
- St. Anthony: Stadium plan puts heat on convention center, Star Tribune 8/5/12 7:21 p.m.
- Wis. company to oversee Minn. stadium construction, AP 8/5/12
Z-FILE: IRRESISTIBLE STORIES BEYOND THE PURVIEW OF PIM
- 2-year contract in N.D. separates Royalton man, family, St. Cloud Times 8/5/12 11:35 p.m.