Morning Report 8/30/2012
Published: August 30,2012
Time posted: 9:08 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Supreme Court sides with GOP on amendments 8/29/12 4:52 p.m.
- Growing pains for the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce 8/29/12 4:48 p.m.
- Former NFL star Hansen presents sizeable challenge for DFL Rep. Kent Eken in an open Senate district 8/29/12 4:43 p.m.
- Capitol 10: Top new legislative candidates 8/29/12 4:37 p.m.
- Medicaid Director David Godfrey resigns to take post with Hennepin County 8/29/12 3:10 p.m.
- State moving forward on Capitol restoration 8/29/12 5:14 p.m.
- Stephen Young: The Europeanization of American politics 8/29/12 4:40 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Should Bills End His Campaign For The U.S. Senate?, Politics MN
- Minnesotans “deeply involved” in Romney foreign policy, Capitol View
- Garrison Keillor headlines fundraiser for local DFL candidates, Political Notebook
- Mower Co GOP Chair: “One of the things I get from people is how upset they are with the GOP”, Bluestem Prairie
- Drazkowski and Parry demand Gov. Dayton participate in their grandstanding, MN Progressive Project
- Kurt Bills – Stuck at the starting gate with wobbly wheels, mnpACT!
- Dayton blasts legislators over state contracts, Hot Dish Politics
- Chris Fields vs. Keith Ellison live at the State Fair, True North
- Sen. Ted Daley needs to explain…some more, mnpACT!
- 5th District Congressional debate at the State Fair, MPR
- Republican National Convention: Norm Coleman plays key role behind the scenes, Pioneer Press 8/29/12 1:25 p.m.
- Pawlenty does his part with blistering barbs, Star Tribune 8/29/12 11:14 p.m.
- Armed with one-liners, Pawlenty tears into Obama, MPR
CRIME / POLICE
- Video surfaces of alleged St. Paul police brutality, Star Tribune 8/29/12 5:10 p.m.
- Video shows St. Paul officer kicked man, MPR
- Minnesota imposes new labels on schools, Star Tribune 8/30/12 5:39 a.m.
- Duininck lawsuit could have statewide implications, West Central Tribune 8/29/12 12:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Ramsey County, St. Paul schedule public hearings on tax levy increases, Pioneer Press 8/29/12 3:18 p.m.
- Kandiyohi commissioners hear ideas for phase two of county redesign, West Central Tribune 8/29/12 12:00 a.m.
- City analyzes levy options, Marshall Independent
- Task force mulls new health insurance, New Ulm Journal
- Minnesota lagged nation in growth of public health coverage for kids, Pioneer Press 8/29/12 2:39 p.m.
- Two new state judges to be based in Shakopee, MinnPost 8/29/12 10:58 a.m.
- More lawsuits likely if photo ID amendment passes, MPR
- For 5 Iron Range mines and 3,000 workers, 2 days left for contract talks, MPR
- Countdown on the Iron Range, Star Tribune 8/29/12 10:58 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Todd Klingel: Transportation, and the battle over job growth, Pioneer Press 8/29/12 3:44 p.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Amendment foes take political blue ribbon, Star Tribune 8/29/12 10:47 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Welcome news in the housing market, Pioneer Press 8/29/12 3:42 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- More injured employees, fewer doctors at Minnesota Security Hospital, MPR
- Mankato coach’s child-porn case tests definition of criminal, Star Tribune 8/29/12 11:36 p.m.
- Distrust grows of fracking companies, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/29/12 9:43 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Mpls. plan to add health inspectors comes with a fee, Star Tribune 8/29/12 10:25 p.m.
- Hennepin County may be forced to replace tracks though reroute, Finance and Commerce 8/29/12 4:15 p.m.