Morning Report 8/24/2012
Published: August 24,2012
Time posted: 9:36 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Disaster relief special session set to convene Friday 8/23/12 6:27 p.m.
- The Paper Trail: Special session tracking sheet 8/23/12 4:27 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Leaders hope for smooth and short disaster session, Capitol Chatter
- Romney’s quick Minnesota trip raises at least $875K, Capitol View
- Chanting Points Memo: Barnes Bobbles Facts, Shot in the Dark
- Michele Bachmann: endorsed Akin–but don’t quote her…, MN Progressive Project
- Kurt Bills presses Republicans to back Romney, not Paul, Capitol View
- Bills endorses Romney, time to get over it, Minica Review
- Not from around here: Romney breezily predicts Kurt Bills senate victory in November, Bluestem Prairie
- An evening with Mitt Romney, Power Line
- Emmer: The truth will set you free, True North
- Idle Hands, Part II, Shot in the Dark
- Vikings assist legislative candidates this election year, Capitol View
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- St. Cloud will unveil new air service, Star Tribune 8/23/12 9:11 a.m.
- Recession hangover lingers for Minnesota’s smaller banks, Star Tribune 8/23/12 9:44 p.m.
- MN banks shaping up, Mpls. Fed says, MPR
- Marriage amendment campaigns square off at State Fair, MPR
- Romney tells Minnesota supporters campaign is for ‘soul of America’, Star Tribune 8/24/12 5:46 a.m.
- In Minnesota, Romney says big business is ‘doing fine’, AP
- Rybak will address Democratic convention next month, Star Tribune 8/24/12 8:02 a.m.
- Financial hit from homestead credit cut hurts, group says, West Central Tribune 8/24/12 12:00 a.m.
- Libertarian gets on MN ballot for president, AP
- Super PAC expands targets to Bachmann, AP
- Dayton shines as fundraising star for legislative candidates, MinnPost
- Gov. Dayton asks for additional $42.5M to build health exchange, MPR
- Building Blocks: Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center, Finance and Commerce 8/23/12 12:28 p.m.
- St. Paul is hiring teachers, a key part of the district’s plan to raise achievement, Pioneer Press 8/23/12 11:37 p.m.
- School districts hope summer assessments give students a head start, MPR
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Oak Park Heights vote clears way for St. Croix bridge, MPR
- St. Croix bridge clears its final hurdle, Star Tribune 8/23/12 11:38 p.m.
- Proposed Kandiyohi County budget to increase 1.5% in 2013, West Central Tribune 8/24/12 12:00 a.m.
- Disaster relief bill seeks $79 million for road repairs, Finance and Commerce 8/24/12 7:30 a.m.
- Legislators take up flood aid in special session today, MPR
- Senate’s Brodkorb legal bill hits six figures, MPR
- Brodkorb lawsuit: Minnesota Senate’s legal costs top $100K, AP
- Kiffmeyer touts reasons for Voter ID amendment, New Ulm Journal
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Mark Osler: Amendment is wrong way to preserve traditional marriage, Star Tribune 8/24/12 7:39 a.m.
- Jeff Kolnick: Low-wage, high-tuition model for higher ed is a disaster for teachers, students, MinnPost 8/24/12 5:00 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Court focuses on contamination at St. Paul crime lab, MPR
- DHS confirms resignation of executive, MPR
- Duluth gets grant to hire 50 temporary workers for flood repairs, MinnPost 8/23/12 8:56 a.m.
- The NetWork: Innovative model for ex-offenders, MinnPost 8/23/12 8:17 a.m.
- Hotel employees urged to help fight child-sex trafficking, Pioneer Press 8/23/12 9:08 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Minneapolis plan to revamp police-review procedures gets hostile reception, MinnPost 8/23/12 10:00 a.m.
- Hope remains for high-speed link to Duluth, Finance and Commerce 8/23/12 3:46 p.m.
- MnDOT announces new bridge plans, Winona Daily News
- MnDOT recommends new interstate bridge in Winona, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/24/12 8:10 a.m.
Z-FILE: IRRESISTIBLE STORIES BEYOND THE PURVIEW OF PIM
- Skateboarding over disaster, News Cut