Morning Report 8/21/2012
Published: August 21,2012
Time posted: 9:43 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Dayton appoints Wilhelmina Wright to the Minnesota Supreme Court 8/20/12 5:36 p.m.
- DFL leaders call on Rep. Kerry Gauthier to step aside following scandal 8/20/12 1:58 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Dayton appoints Wright to MN Supreme Court, Capitol View
- Thissen urges Gauthier to step aside, Capitol View
- Gauthier needs to leave, mnpACT!
- Special disaster session negotiations to continue, Capitol Chatter
- The True ID of The Photo ID Proponents: Partisan Hacks, Wry Wing Politics
- Minnesota DFL 8th CD Primary sets statewide record in post-merger era, Smart Politics
- Michele Bachmann: why we have to beat her, this year, MN Progressive Project
- GameFair an untapped captive audience politically, Residual Forces
- Klobuchar, Walz. local leaders meet with Bureau of Reclamation Commish Michael Connor about Lewis & Clark Rural Water Project completion, Bluestem Prairie
- Minneapolis, St. Paul mayors oppose photo ID/registration amendment, Hot Dish Politics
- A rebuttal of Reps. Daudt & Simon (June primary would protect incumbents, Part II), Minica Review
- Those Conservatives Who Put Winning Second, Minnesota Conservatives
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Gauthier’s Minnesota House seat hot topic, Duluth News Tribune 8/21/12 12:00 a.m.
- Two announce candidacy for Gauthier’s House seat, MPR
- Democrats prepare for Biden’s appearance, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/20/12 8:20 a.m.
- Twin Cities mayors say voter ID requirement expensive, restrictive, MPR
- Mayors Rybak, Coleman blast Photo ID as needless expense in tight times, MinnPost
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Woodbury, Eagan and Lakeville among the ‘Best Small Cities in America’, Pioneer Press 8/20/12 5:49 p.m.
- May Township to revisit rules on local growers, MPR
- Winona City Council divorces itself from marriage amendment, Winona Daily News
- Dayton’s historic choice: First black female Supreme Court judge, Star Tribune 8/20/12 10:33 p.m.
- Appeals Judge Wright is state’s newest Supreme Court justice, MPR
- DFL leaders want Gauthier to quit race, Star Tribune 8/20/12 7:37 p.m.
- Flood deal still out of reach for Minnesota lawmakers, AP
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Rep. Kerry Gauthier should resign, Star Tribune 8/20/12 4:27 p.m.
- Temple Grandin to headline animal science conference next month in Willmar, West Central Tribune 8/21/12 12:00 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Minn. day care more expensive than college tuition, MPR
- Appeals Court reverses award against Mpls. blogger, Star Tribune 8/20/12 9:15 p.m.
- Two cases of swine flu confirmed, MPR
- Ban swine from State Fair, expert says, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- St. Paul now has its own “cash mob”, Pioneer Press 8/21/12 12:03 a.m.
- Southwest light-rail bidding begins — again, Finance and Commerce 8/20/12 4:55 p.m.
- MnDOT engineer touts value of roundabout, Mankato Free Press