Morning Report 8/17/2012
Published: August 17,2012
Time posted: 10:47 am
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Senate leader says he’s not concerned about allegations of campaigning at the Capitol; DFL chair is outraged, Hot Dish Politics
- Room 208 – Capitol Building & Campaign Central, mnpACT!
- The Mn GOP’s Cooked Books, Part 16 – Offer Withdrawn, MN Progressive Project
- Disaster aid work continues at Capitol, Capitol View
- 59B: Terra Cole to request a recount, MN Progressive Project
- No charges in lawmaker-minor rest stop incident, Capitol Chatter
- Gauthier should resign, MN Progressive Project
- Gauthier scandal surely will disgust voters, Let Freedom Ring
- Signs of trouble for traditional marriage, Fraters Libertas
- Legislators study flood relief requests and hope for legislative session next week, Hot Dish Politics
- Rick Nolan, meet Ernest Lundeen, Smart Politics
- Primary aftermath: Cravaack vs. Nolan in MN-8, Minnesota Brown
- Failed burrito baron outsmarts party again: state payment goes to MN for Fair Redistricting, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Retailers are still unwrapping big-box stores in Twin Cities area, Star Tribune 8/16/12 4:43 p.m.
- Founder Richard Schulze won’t back off from Best Buy takeover, MPR
- Feds say Minnesota taconite plants must clean up furnaces, Duluth News Tribune 8/16/12 8:05 p.m.
- Quist faces hurdles in campaign against Walz, New Ulm Journal
- DFL wants probe of alleged Senate GOP politicking on taxpayer time, MinnPost 8/16/12 2:58 p.m.
- Dayton repudiates Ramsey’s call to exterminate Dakota, Star Tribune 8/16/12 10:56 p.m.
- Dakota County: Candidates file for school board races, Pioneer Press 8/16/12 10:45 p.m.
- Education Commissioner Cassellius in Moorhead to discuss school funding, MinnPost
- Soil bacteria could be key to fighting zebra mussels, MPR
- Wolf hunt opponents demonstrate outside governor’s residence, Pioneer Press 8/16/12 8:17 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Commission considering mine, Winona Daily News
- Court panel cuts legal bills in redistricting litigation, AP
- Law firm accused of switching sides wants 3M’s suit dismissed, Pioneer Press 8/16/12 10:43 p.m.
- Rep. Kerry Gauthier won’t face charges for sex encounter, Star Tribune 8/16/12 7:40 p.m.
- Duluth TV gets sloppy on Gauthier investigation, MinnPost 8/16/12 2:30 p.m.
- Legislators aim for quick action on flood relief, Star Tribune 8/16/12 7:51 p.m.
- Lawmakers look toward special session, AP
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Peter Hutchinson: Primary shows once again the flaw in our electoral system, MPR
- Liz Johnson: Ranked-choice voting would provide a true winner, Duluth News Tribune 8/17/12 12:00 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Task force to study MN sex offender program, MPR
- Minn. ranks high in nation for cost of center-based child care, MPR
- City cameras track anyone, even Minneapolis Mayor Rybak, Star Tribune 8/16/12 10:39 p.m.
- Nowthen happy to pay the sheriff, MPR