Morning Report 8/16/2012
Published: August 16,2012
Time posted: 9:59 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Osmek, Pugh, Metsa, Hawj win high-profile contests amid low voter turnout 8/15/12 2:29 p.m.
- Quist, Nolan win hard-fought congressional tilts 8/15/12 3:11 p.m.
- David FitzSimmons, a tireless worker on numerous GOP campaigns, is poised to win a legislative seat in conservative 30B 8/15/12 3:23 p.m.
- Primary turnout even lower than expected — with exceptions 8/15/12 2:30 p.m.
- House and Senate certain to see large number of newcomers in 2013 8/15/12 2:45 p.m.
- Sand-mining boom on legislative agenda 8/15/12 3:27 p.m.
- Who punched their ticket to the Capitol on Tuesday? 8/15/12 1:21 p.m.
- Fischer prevails in rancorous DFL primary in HD 43A 8/15/12 1:25 p.m.
- Dayton criticizes GOP’s ‘sticker shock” over disaster relief bill 8/15/12 5:45 p.m.
- Capitol 10: Patio hot spots for Capitol Insiders 8/15/12 3:04 p.m.
- Stephen B. Young: Your papers, please 8/15/12 3:19 p.m.
- James Hovland: The Metropolitan Council: An important regional asset 8/15/12 3:12 p.m.
- University of Minnesota’s Tim Mulcahy wants to spur business investment, political alliances 8/15/12 3:03 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Police investigate Rep. Gauthier in rest stop incident, Capitol Chatter
- Bachmann scores weakest Minnesota GOP US House incumbent primary win in 50 years, Smart Politics
- Primary turnout was 2nd lowest in 62 years, Capitol View
- Gov. Dayton says planning for flood special session later this month is “on track”, Hot Dish Politics
- Oh For Pete’s Sake – FIFTY!, Residual Forces
- The biggest winner yesterday? Voices of Conservative Women, Politics MN
- Vice President Joe Biden will campaign in Minnesota next week, Capitol View
- The West Is Red, Shot in the Dark
- I’m going to miss Mike Parry, MN Progressive Project
- Good country people: looking at some numbers from yesterday’s Southern Minnesota primary, Bluestem Prairie
- Bye, Tony, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
- Same-sex marriage supporters launch first TV ad in amendment fight, Hot Dish Politics
- Memo to Kurt Bills: Time is running out, Politics MN
- June primary would protect incumbents, Minica Review
- Good news from South St. Paul and Inver Hills on erasing boundaries between K-12 and higher ed, Growth & Justice
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Franken creates potent fundraising machine in advance of re-election bid, MPR
- Nolan, Cravaack dive into race for Congress, Duluth News Tribune 8/16/12 12:00 a.m.
- Minnesota candidates hit the trail by mending fences, Star Tribune 8/16/12 12:18 a.m.
- Nolan, Cravaack rally faithful in 8th District, MPR
- Cravaack, Nolan clash over Ryan’s vision for Medicare, AP
- First television ad on marriage amendment runs in Minn., MPR
- TV ad to defeat Minnesota marriage amendment features Duluth couple, AP
CRIME / POLICE
- Dayton asks SBA to offer loans to flooding victims, AP
- Dayton, lawmakers to talk flood relief on Friday, AP
- Governor Mark Dayton: It’s time for schools to get tough on bullying, Pioneer Press 8/15/12 9:25 p.m.
- Bates, Mann, Wycoff and Reimnitz advance in MPS board races, MinnPost 8/15/12 10:40 a.m.
- Leaders emerge in Mpls. school primary, Star Tribune 8/15/12 8:58 a.m.
- GOP consultant/’new’ blogger Michael Brodkorb offers two-party election critique, MinnPost 8/15/12 2:03 p.m.
- Minn. 1st and 8th Congressional District candidates on primary win, MPR
- Campaign Notebook: Parry fared poorly in areas he represents, Mankato Free Press
- Broad Minnesota frac sand mining study requested, MPR
- A scourge spreads ash borer, Star Tribune 8/15/12 8:56 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Concern grows over Bottineau light rail opposition, Finance and Commerce 8/15/12 4:14 p.m.
- Candidates — and one non candidate — locked in key county races, Star Tribune 8/15/12 8:55 a.m.
- Vadnais Heights sports center operator is fired, Star Tribune 8/15/12 10:10 p.m.
- Minn. hospitals outpace nursing homes in flu shot program, Star Tribune 8/15/12 7:37 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Lori Sturdevant: The winner: party endorsement, Star Tribune 8/15/12 4:53 p.m.
- Scott McNurlin: Dramatic revenue shifts will include policing, Red Wing Republican Eagle 8/15/12 11:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Gauthier, city must come clean on incident, Duluth News Tribune 8/16/12 12:00 a.m.
- Editorial: Low turnout argues for earlier primary, Pioneer Press 8/15/12 6:33 p.m.
- Former St. Paul police chief Harrington in running for Metro Transit top cop job, Pioneer Press 8/15/12 7:32 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Rural domestic violence: Dangerous for victims, complicated for police, MPR
- State expands ‘safe haven’ law for newborns, MPR
- Minneapolis Foundation to help cover legal fees for young immigrants, MPR
- Stanley Crooks: Mdewakanton divided over U.S.-Dakota War, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Rybak proposes 1.7 percent property tax increase, Star Tribune 8/15/12 4:01 p.m.
- Rybak budget increases spending for police, fire, MPR
- Housing need, rail line bring development near U campus, Star Tribune 8/15/12 9:02 p.m.
- Complexities abound for St. Croix Crossing bridge project, Finance and Commerce 8/16/12 7:50 a.m.