Morning Report 8/13/2012
Published: August 13,2012
Time posted: 9:44 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Minnesota’s July revenue numbers slip 8/10/12 3:35 p.m.
- Sticker shock: Dayton’s $190 million disaster bill 8/10/12 3:20 p.m.
- Mark Ritchie: The man they love to hate 8/10/12 3:18 p.m.
- Dayton weighs would-be Supremes 8/10/12 3:10 p.m.
- McCollum calls out Hill for ‘unsubstantiated’ attacks in HD43A contest 8/10/12 10:41 a.m.
- Margaret Martin: The middle class and the welfare poverty trap 8/10/12 3:04 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Wonkish Ryan’s budget specifics take center stage, Growth & Justice
- PoliGraph: Claim in anti-Cravaack ad needs lots of context, Capitol View
- Tarryl Clark goes on the attack, LeftMN
- Senate wants Brodkorb case sent to federal court, Capitol View
- Bachmann message connects State Department aide to al Qaeda jihad against U.S., Hot Dish Politics
- Is Minnesota in play?, Let Freedom Ring
- Pawlenty can’t compete with a guy who cuts the bosses tax rate to 1%, Wry Wing Politics
- Dishonest Doepke strikes again, Minica Review
- Mesabi Daily News shakes up 6B race with closing editorial, Minnesota Brown
- DFL to Minnesota: Protecting PEUs is job one, Let Freedom Ring
- The Minnesota GOP needs serious self-examination, mnpACT!
- Julie Quist tweets: Mike Parry agreed to, but didn’t sign Americans for Tax Reform pledge, Bluestem Prairie
- FEMA says no, again, to Minnesota request for individual disaster assistance, Hot Dish Politics
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- State’s farmers escape worst of drought, Star Tribune 8/11/12 8:56 p.m.
- Businesses drawn into fight over marriage amendment, Star Tribune 8/11/12 12:14 a.m.
- Subtle policy differences divide Parry, Quist, MPR
- Passed by for VP spot again, what’s next for Pawlenty?, Star Tribune 8/12/12 5:35 p.m.
- Preview of state Senate DFL primary on St. Paul’s East Side, Pioneer Press 8/12/12 5:24 p.m.
- Range prepares to replace veteran lawmaker Rukavina, MPR
- For GOP lawmakers, challenges from the right, AP
- 6 legislative races to watch, Star Tribune 8/13/12 6:04 a.m.
- Ellison, Shortridge react to Ryan pick, MPR
CRIME / POLICE
- Budget crunch forces cities and counties to rethink policing, MPR
- Video expands Duluth police force, MPR
- Primary will chart path for Congress and Legislature, Star Tribune 8/12/12 5:58 p.m.
- Battle over Minn. Legacy dollars heating up again, AP
- DNR hire deals with farmers’ complaints about deer, AP
- Soaking up knowledge on the Minnesota River, Star Tribune 8/13/12 7:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Town saves money on cops, wonders if it did right, MPR
- Minnesota mayors discuss LGA issues, Marshall Independent
- Wabasha County: Norman faces stiff opposition for county board seat, Winona Daily News 8/11/12 12:00 a.m.
- Republicans want more details on flood-relief package, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/13/12 8:04 a.m.
- Kiffmeyer to speak about voter ID at Tea Party meeting in Alexandria, Alexandria Echo Press 8/10/12 3:31 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Tim Walz: America needs a farm bill — and not just for farmers, Rochester Post-Bulletin 8/11/12 1:02 a.m.
- Chris Coleman: Balanced approach to budgeting serves St. Paul well, Pioneer Press 8/11/12 3:56 p.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Can the Iron Range still make a stand?, Star Tribune 8/11/12 5:16 p.m.
- Jason Hill: Too much corn is being wasted on fuel, Star Tribune 8/11/12 5:19 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Don’t dilute citizen review of police, Star Tribune 8/12/12 5:42 p.m.
- Editorial: Tony Bennett should advance in race for Ramsey County Board, Pioneer Press 8/11/12 3:56 p.m.
- Pawlenty’s future might lie in Romney Cabinet or 2014 Senate race, MPR
- Passed over again, Pawlenty pledges to support ticket, Pioneer Press 8/12/12 5:19 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Wayward golf shot or hate crime at St. Paul church?, Star Tribune 8/12/12 8:26 p.m.
- Rural security firm stands guard over empty farms and cabins, MPR
- Unique court lets tribal and state judges fight addiction together, MPR
- 2014 project may stop BE flooding, Faribault County Register
- St. Paul church finds anti-gay vandalism, Pioneer Press 8/12/12 7:29 p.m.
- Free dental care for needy in Mankato, AP
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- A bumpy road for Lowry bridge, Star Tribune 8/11/12 9:33 p.m.
- Central Corridor: Residents fuming over truck traffic on side streets, Pioneer Press 8/11/12 9:12 p.m.
- HD cameras and station design intended to enhance LRT security, MPR