Morning Report 7/9/2012
Published: July 9,2012
Time posted: 9:52 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- A ticket to St. Paul 7/6/12 2:46 p.m.
- Willmar-area DFL Senate primary will hinge on city/rural dynamics 7/6/12 2:48 p.m.
- Lessons learned from shutdown 7/6/12 12:23 p.m.
- Carpenters endorse bipartisan slate of candidates 7/6/12 12:24 p.m.
- Phil Krinkie: Independence Day 7/6/12 2:41 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Express Scripts worked to bring “certainty” to Minnesota’s (GOP?) voters during redistricting, Bluestem Prairie
- Kline raised $428,000 for re-election bid in second quarter, Hot Dish Politics
- Land of 100,000 gun carriers, Power Line
- Debunking the SC Times’ ACA myths, Let Freedom Ring
- Ritchie Rich, Power Line
- Cindy Pugh’s Tea Party: Agenda 21 presentation by Bircher, Bluestem Prairie
- Photo ID amendment doesn’t fix what they tell us is voter fraud, mnpACT!
- Marriage amendment backers count on DFL votes, Capitol Chatter
- Better know a Senate District: 53, Left MN
- Marriage amendment fight headed to court, Hot Dish Politics
- Mt. Iron approves resolution opposing marriage amendment, Minnesota Brown
- They’re over it: Ron Paulers abandon Kurt Bills, Minnesota Conservatives
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Best Buy to cut 2,400 jobs, MPR
- Minnesota businesses line up to ask Congress for cut in tariffs, Star Tribune 7/8/12 11:33 p.m.
- Kline has $1.3 million for re-election in redrawn 2nd District, AP
- Will 3rd time be a charm for Kruse?, Marshall Independent
- Sec. of State sued over marriage amendment, MPR
- Marriage debate is about to get louder, Duluth News Tribune 7/8/12 12:00 a.m.
- Quist plans big fundraising push, New Ulm Journal
- Minnesota’s alternate path for aspiring teachers still is untraveled, Star Tribune 7/8/12 11:50 p.m.
- The DIY approach to education, StarTribune 7/8/12 6:25 a.m.
- State-run student loan program boasts lower rate, Star Tribune 7/6/12 10:14 a.m.
- What to expect if the voter ID amendment is passed, Pioneer Press 7/8/12 12:33 a.m.
- Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes, AP
- North St. Paul: City to start replacing some ash trees with ash borer coming, Pioneer Press 7/8/12 12:01 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- 12-county effort on life support, Star Tribune 7/7/12 8:18 p.m.
- St. Louis County irked by overbuilt deer stands, AP
- Farmington school board split over future of district land tract, Pioneer Press 7/7/12 9:09 p.m.
- Health care ruling unsettles investors in insurers like UnitedHealth, Star Tribune 7/7/12 5:24 p.m.
- Leaving the classroom: Pelowski shifts focus to state, family, Winona Daily News
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Tony Lourey: Medicaid expansion: Good for Minnesota, Star Tribune 7/8/12 5:04 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Walking a fine line on voter ID issue, Star Tribune 7/8/12 5:06 p.m.
- Editorial: GOP’s unfinished health care work, Star Tribune 7/7/12 4:40 p.m.
- Editorial: Water lovers should embrace DNR rules, Star Tribune 7/6/12 5:48 p.m.
- Rochester well positioned for job growth, Rochester Post-Bulletin 7/9/12 7:03 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Land of 100,000 gun carriers, Star Tribune 7/8/12 11:35 a.m.
- Gang feud that killed Nizzel grew for months, Star Tribune 7/8/12 9:08 a.m.
- Obama declares disaster in 13 Minnesota counties, 3 tribal nations, Pioneer Press 7/6/12 10:13 p.m.
- Fundraiser planned in Minn. for school in Somalia, MPR
- Most repairs done for Lake Country Power customers, Duluth News Tribune 7/9/12 6:00 a.m.
- Minn. lags in access to opiate OD antidote, MPR
- Two faiths seek common ground in St. Anthony, Star Tribune 7/8/12 10:20 p.m.
- One woman’s job search made tougher by disability, Pioneer Press 7/7/12 11:50 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Nicollet intersection closing in S. Mpls., MPR
- Sabo bridge shutdown cost more than a million dollars, MPR
- A second act for Ford plant’s training center?, Star Tribune 7/8/12 3:44 p.m.