Morning Report 7/19/2012
Published: July 19,2012
Time posted: 9:45 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Tony Sutton, party of one 7/18/12 4:03 p.m.
- East side story 7/18/12 3:53 p.m.
- Common Cause files criminal complaint against Sutton, state GOP 7/18/12 4:48 p.m.
- Steven Schier: Is Minnesota in play in the 2012 presidential race? 7/18/12 3:48 p.m.
- Capitol 10: The Youth Movement 7/18/12 3:32 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Ron and Rand Paul to hold Virginia fundraiser for Bills, Capitol View
- Voter ID opponents out-raise amendment supporters, Capitol View
- MichelePAC, Bachmann’s state campaign arm, bulks up, Hot Dish Politics
- Fundraising, light rail & Bachmann: A CD1 primary race update, Political Notebook
- Franson’s critics increase her determination, Capitol Chatter
- Poll Tax Amendment proponents: The legislature can lie to voters if it chooses, MN Publius
- Fun with graphs of money, LeftMN
- Rick Nolan, loose cannon, Let Freedom Ring
- What’s in a name? Mark Ritchie and that which we call amendments, Thug in Pastels
- Nolan issues mining plan for MN-8; Anderson responds, Minnesota Brown
- MPP talks to Jim Graves about Michele Bachmann and the Sixth District race, MN Progressive
- What did Mary Kiffmeyer know about ID fraudster “Victoria Ayoola” & when did she know it?, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Free Wi-Fi coming to MSP in October, MPR
- It’s boom time for mines on the Range, Duluth News Tribune 7/19/12 12:00 a.m.
- Minnesota looks for a bigger taste of India, Star Tribune 7/18/12 9:18 p.m.
- Common Cause seeks criminal charges against MNGOP, Sutton, MPR
- Common Cause seeks charges against GOP, Star Tribune 7/18/12 9:43 p.m.
- 8th District DFLers signal support for mining, MPR
- Group rebuts Minnesota official’s gay-marriage amendment rebranding, AP
- Nolan proposes federal mining institute, Duluth News Tribune 7/18/12 2:18 p.m.
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Franken’s torture smackdown, MinnPost 7/18/12 2:00 p.m.
- McCain denounces Bachmann’s Muslim Brotherhood statement, MPR
CRIME / POLICE
- Cop hints at strife on Minneapolis force, Star Tribune 7/19/12 12:30 a.m.
- Company pledges $100,000 if USC school referendum passes, Mankato Free Press
- Plenty on the ballot menu in 2012, Marshall Independent
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Scott Newman: Voter ID: Ritchie’s rewording is out of bounds, Star Tribune 7/18/12 8:45 p.m.
- Prettner Solon to attend lieutenant governors conference in Chicago, MinnPost 7/18/12 1:08 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Flooded Duluthians ‘in big trouble,’ even with aid, MPR
- Labor Secretary Solis to visit Minnesota for discussion of homeless vets, MinnPost 7/18/12 11:51 a.m.
- MN’s rework of anti-bullying law takes shape, Star Tribune 7/19/12 12:28 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Funding approved for new St. Paul Saints ballpark, MPR
- City Council pledges $27 million for St. Paul stadium, Star Tribune 7/19/12 12:25 a.m.
- St. Paul police chief suspends crime lab drug testing, MPR
- City of Minneapolis releases new smartphone app, WCCO 7/18/12 8:41 a.m.
- Design prof Thomas Fisher wants stadium to produce ‘vibrant’ new Minneapolis area, MinnPost 7/18/12 10:09 a.m.
- Planners take stock of housing along Southwest LRT, Finance and Commerce 7/18/12 3:41 p.m.