Morning Report 7/16/2012
Published: July 16,2012
Time posted: 9:39 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- Minnesota’s top political donors, contributions, and lobbyist donors 7/13/12 4:10 p.m.
- The top 25 Minnesota political donors of the past decade 7/13/12 3:59 p.m.
- Minnesota’s top donors skew DFL 7/13/12 3:51 p.m.
- MN GOP on the hook for recount debts, Sutton and party fined 7/13/12 2:52 p.m.
- CFPD report excerpts on GOP gubernatorial recount expenses, Sutton role 7/13/12 2:50 p.m.
- Cravaack earns union endorsement from 49ers 7/13/12 3:14 p.m.
- Margaret Martin: Government is not a business7/13/12 3:43 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Inequality, education and innovation: U.S. higher on the first, slipping on the other two, Growth & Justice
- Ellison raises $260K, challenger Fields brings in $33K, Capitol View
- Quist gives big to his congressional campaign, Political Notebook
- Bills campaign takes new approach, Capitol Chatter
- Klobuchar draws $950K, has $5.5 million in the bank, Bills brings in $243K, Capitol View
- Paulsen raises $454K, McCollum $90K, Capitol View
- Bakk suggests letting House take lead on disaster aid, Capitol Chatter
- FECQ2: Freedom Force Communications continued lucrative relationship with Byberg, Bluestem Prairie
- Still don’t get labor endorsement of Cravaack, mnPACT!
- The DFL no more, Part II, Let Freedom Ring
- They’ve had enough, Shot in the Dark
- Better know a Senate District: 1, LeftMN
- A stone path? Between the lines in Quist FEC Q2 2012 report: $4000 to Al Travis Theilfoldt, Bluestem Prairie
- Secretary of State Mark Ritchie’s brilliance, Fraters Libertas
- The Mn GOP’s Cooked Books, Part 14 – It Is No Surprise, MN Progressive Project
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Out to boost tourism, cities want to make Lake Minnetonka liquid asset, Star Tribune 7/15/12 6:44 a.m.
- Amy Klobuchar outraises Kurt Bills nearly four-to-one, MinnPost
- GOP, former chairman fined over recount, MPR
- State Republican Party fined $30,000 over recount, Star Tribune 7/14/12 1:29 p.m.
- Nolan emerges to run for Congress after 32-year political hiatus, Star Tribune 7/16/12 7:29 a.m.
- Democrat reserves $800K of TV time in MN’s 2nd, AP
- GOP’s Cravaack has $900K for re-election in MN, AP
- Quist gave self $170,000, New Ulm Journal
- Thomson Reuters’ local execs say ‘no’ on marriage amendment, Star Tribune 7/13/12 8:39 p.m.
- Politicians making FarmFest a priority, Mankato Free Press
- Walz raises more than opponents in second quarter, New Ulm Journal
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Walz bill close to becoming a law, Winona Daily News 7/14/12 12:00 a.m.
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Amy Klobuchar: Poised and popular, Star Tribune 7/14/12 5:35 p.m.
- Dakota County schools look for strategies to keep students, Pioneer Press 7/14/12 2:17 p.m.
- Ritchie resumes a familiar place in political hot seat, Star Tribune 7/13/12 10:55 p.m.
- Minn. kicking off 2012 agricultural pest surveys, AP
- Anxiety and anger as zebra mussel invasion spreads, MPR
- Leveling the Legacy playing field, Marshall Independent
- Longer wolf hunt planned as DNR implements new legislation, MinnPost
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Maplewood City Council seat to be filled Nov. 6, Star Tribune 7/141/2 5:46 p.m.
- Minneapolis birth center offers home(like) delivery, Star Tribune 7/15/12 9:21 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Lori Sturdevant: On the ballot in August: Allen Quist and Rick Nolan, Star Tribune 7/14/12 5:59 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Is Mark Ritchie attempting to suppress the vote?, Pioneer Press 7/14/12 3:49 p.m.
- State still needs a sustainable budget, Mankato Free Press
- Editorial: Scrutiny needed on BWCA swap, Star Tribune 7/16/12 12:03 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- St. Paul program helps immigrant girls with language, confidence, Pioneer Press 7/14/12 2:45 p.m.
- Child-care providers have two sets of rules, Star Tribune 7/15/12 6:34 a.m.
- Politicians enter Lakeville rail car fray, Star Tribune 7/15/12 8:29 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Capitol gets worked from top down, Star Tribune 7/14/12 8:38 p.m.
- St. Paul points to Penfield to fuel downtown renaissance, MPR