Morning Report 7/12/12
Published: July 12,2012
Time posted: 9:58 am
NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
- 2010 GOP challenger Karin Housley mounts primary bid for retiree Vandeveer’s seat 7/11/12 3:45 p.m.
- Health care battles roll on 7/11/12 3:53 p.m.
- Special session to address disaster relief expected to be called in August 7/11/12 3:30 p.m.
- Capitol 10: It’s a family affair 7/11/12 3:17 p.m.
- Giving citizens a voice 7/11/12 3:14 p.m.
- Bus rapid transit finding more federal support 7/11/12 3:23 p.m.
- DNR contemplates electric barrier to carp 7/11/12 3:25 p.m.
- Dane Smith: Workforce development must be more conscious of race gap 7/11/12 3:31 p.m.
- David Schultz: America’s losing war on drugs 7/11/12 3:28 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Lawmakers to hold special session on flood relief, Hot Dish Politics
- Behind in the polls, Bills calls on Klobuchar to debate, Capitol View
- So on to 2014 then?, Residual Forces
- Quist raised $178K for congressional race during second quarter, Hot Dish Politics
- PoliGraph: Rybak hits two, misses one, Capitol View
- For 30th time, Bachmann and the gang misread Obamacare public opinion, Wry Wing Politics
- Hann to Gov. Dayton: No health exchange vote before election, Let Freedom Ring
- SD44 campaigns heat up, North Star Liberty
- Ritchie, Quist and Parry . . . oh my!, Dispatches from the Trenches
- 2012 MN Congressional races – current outlook, mnpACT!
- Chip Cravaack conference call notes, Let Freedom Ring
- In town hall, Quist disputes Mother Jones article; Golnik tweets 1994 source of gay/KKK remark, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- St. Paul: Cupcake restaurant owner pulls plug on Grand Avenue, plans megamall location, Pioneer Press 7/11/12 6:32 p.m.
- Supervalu exploring sale, suspending dividend, Star Tribune 7/11/12 5:39 p.m.
- Supervalu sees tough future after dismal earnings report, MPR
- Minnesota Stars CEO optimistic Vikings stadium deal isn’t a death knell, City Pages
- Parry, Quist continue war of words, New Ulm Journal
- Quist woos conservative voters in Rochester, Rochester Post-Bulletin 7/11/12 10:55 p.m.
- Kurt Bills on the William Bennett national radio show, MinnPost 7/11/12 3:28 p.m.
- Being suitable lifts Pawlenty stock in veep hunt, AP
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Dayton, lawmakers agree on flood aid special session, MPR
- Dayton says he’ll pick projects for $47.5M fund, AP
- U finalizes new rules on executive compensation, Star Tribune 7/11/12 4:51 p.m.
- Controlled beer, wine sales approved for TCF Stadium, Star Tribune 7/11/12 3:58 p.m.
- Hennepin County coloring its message on invasive species, Star Tribune 7/11/12 6:12 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Samuels drops out of Hennepin County board race, Star Tribune 7/11/12 9:31 a.m.
- Johnson to step down as Hennepin County administrator, Star Tribune 7/11/12 2:57 p.m.
- Elysian city administrator suing mayor for defamation, Mankato Free Press
- Wisconsin court: Minnesota wind farm’s regulatory approval was proper, AP
- Judge’s order in for part of Avera Marshall lawsuit, Marshall Independent
- Cautious optimism on DEED grant plan, Marshall Independent
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Lori Sturdevant: DEED takes on Legislature’s job, Star Tribune 7/11/12 3:02 p.m.
- Joe Soucheray: Ritchie meddles to help own agenda on marriage, voter ID, Pioneer Press 7/10/12 8:06 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Collaboration still may help counties, Star Tribune 7/11/12 8:13 p.m.
- Bonding grants could be more fair, Rochester Post-Bulletin 7/11/12 6:50 a.m.
- Editorial: Asking better budget questions, Pioneer Press 7/11/12 5:09 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- U.S. Bank starts $1M housing fund, Star Tribune 7/11/12 10:46 p.m.
- Delta faces nearly $1 million in fines for safety violations, Bloomberg
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Minneapolis council considering mandatory recycling rules for large-scale events, MinnPost 7/11/12 9:56 a.m.
- Delta updates MSP control center, Star Tribune 7/11/12 10:47 p.m.