Morning Report 5/2/2012
Published: May 2,2012
Time posted: 9:57 am
- Paul Aasen to depart PCA for Minneapolis post 5/1/12 5:19 p.m.
- Dean’s new stadium pitch upends push for House floor vote (by design?) 5/2/12 7:59 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- A failing grade for a failing legislature, Schultz’s Take
- Minnesota House passes ‘smokin’ hot tax bill’, Hot Dish Politics
- Dayton blasts alternate stadium plan, Hot Dish Politics
- Politics and substance both call for Dayton to sign teacher seniority reform bill, The Same Rowdy Crowd
- The people’s ATM machines in the Vikings stadium, The Deets
- Lawmakers struggle to end session, Capitol Chatter
- If I were Governor Dayton…., The Cucking Stool
- Killing it softly: Republicans and the Vikings stadium, Brick City Blog
- Brrrrrrrrr…Vikings…is this what you want?, mnpACT!
- Vikings to Plot of Land East of Metrodome XIII — The Roof and the Ceiling, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota, US manufacturing growth on the rise, MPR
- State report shows metro liquor stores more profitable than those in rural areas, Alexandria Echo Press 5/2/12 12:00 a.m.
- IRRRB investment in Gilbert dental firm expected to spur 120 jobs, Duluth News Tribune 5/2/12 12:00 a.m.
- Aviation program’s closure is bad timing for airline industry, MPR
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport on short end of Delta jet swap, Star Tribune 5/1/12 11:58 p.m.
- Power co-ops launch $5 million ‘smart grid’ project, Star Tribune 5/1/12 9:06 p.m.
- Parry and Quist to face off in August primary, Rochester Post-Bulletin 5/1/12 9:43 p.m.
- Rosenfield to hold meet and greet, Alexandria Echo Press 5/2/12 12:00 a.m.
CRIME / POLICE
- St. Paul police officers earn honors as heroes, leaders, Star Tribune 5/1/12 7:39 p.m.
- Janee Harteau’s early police chief nomination gives her extra time to connect with community, MinnPost 5/1/12 9:30 a.m.
- Underneath Minnesota, abundant energy goes untapped, Finance and Commerce 5/1/12 1:35 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Frac sand ban lifted: New mining applications to be accepted starting today, Winona Daily News 5/2/12 12:00 a.m.
- Proposal approved for controversial granite quarry, MPR
- Landfall mayor raises ruckus with talk of switching police, Pioneer Press 5/1/12 5:11 p.m.
- A rare meeting between city, county, Alexandria Echo Press 5/2/12 12:00 a.m.
- Nonprofit clinics receive $15.3 million from feds to expand facilities, Pioneer Press 5/1/12 10:26 p.m.
- Feds award $15M to Minnesota community health centers, Star Tribune 5/1/12 9:03 p.m.
- Open Door clinic receives nearly $5 million federal grant, Mankato Free Press
- Fire sprinkler debate heats up again at Legislature, Finance and Commerce 5/1/12 3:50 p.m.
- Session appears at stalemate, Mankato Free Press
- Legislators’ out-of-blue stadium proposal badly fumbles trust issue, MinnPost 5/1/12 5:30 p.m.
- New stadium proposal put forth by Republicans, Session Daily
- Republicans throw a big curve with ‘roof-ready’ stadium plan, Star Tribune 5/2/12 5:54 a.m.
- House passes tax bill without agreement that governor will sign, MPR
- House approves tax bill over Dayton’s objections; Senate vote likely, AP 5/1/12 4:54 p.m.
- Lawmakers look to change stadium proposal, Alexandria Echo Press 5/1/12 2:25 p.m.
- Conferred tax bill passes House and moves to Senate, Session Daily
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Tina Liebling: Benson, GOP favor corporations over the middle class, Rochester Post-Bulletin 5/1/12 6:43 p.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: That ‘permanent’ tax freeze, Star Tribune 5/1/12 4:49 p.m.
- Elaine Palcich: Minnesota’s Wolves: Still Threatened, TC Daily Planet
- Jay and Iris Kiedrowski: Voter ID? We don’t see the need, MinnPost 5/2/12 5:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Take a bit more time to get it right at the Minnesota Capitol, Pioneer Press 5/1/12 5:42 p.m.
- Kriesel to be advocate for Anoka County vets, Star Tribune 5/1/12 7:58 p.m.
- Cottage Grove legislator to lead Anoka County Veteran Services, Pioneer Press 5/1/12 4:18 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- New downtown Lunds store prompts questions about resident notification, MinnPost 5/1/12 2:32 p.m.
- Rybak nominates PCA commissioner for city coordinator, Star Tribune 5/1/12 4:12 p.m.
- MPCA head Aasen stepping down, MPR
- GOP’s floats roofless Vikings stadium plan, Dayton shoots it down, MPR
- Vikings stadium: GOP push roofless option; Dayton, Democrats blast late changes, Pioneer Press 5/1/12 8:40 p.m.
- Vikings spending on lawmakers not demonstrators, KSTP 5/1/12 5:24 p.m.
- Minneapolis’ slice of stadium funding could jump, Star Tribune 5/1/12 9:13 p.m.
- State says taxpayers should find Revenue Dept. website easier to use, Star Tribune 5/1/12 10:14 p.m.