Morning Report 5/18/2012
Published: May 18,2012
Time posted: 7:34 am
- Zellers backs Bills in GOP Senate contest 5/17/12 8:40
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Pulling back the curtain on the Minnesota legislature, Wry Wing Politics
- Paulers for Pat Anderson, Let Freedom Ring
- Congress pays back the ‘Red Bulls’, Hot Dish Politics
- McCollum tries again to ban military from sponsoring NASCAR, Capitol View
- Marriage amendment documentary stirs local tensions, Hot Dish Politics
- ‘Job creators’ & ‘compromise’: GOP doesn’t know the meaning, mnpACT!
- Will the Poll Tax Amendment mean the end of absentee voting?, MN Publius
- Boehner and Cantor pitch in to help Cravaack raise money, Capitol View
- What now on the party platform?, Freedom Dogs
- Emo Senator: district GOP leadership rebrands primary as awesome opportunity for voters, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota’s construction sector loses 1,600 jobs in April, Finance and Commerce 5/17/12 4:18 p.m.
- State’s jobless rate drops to 5.6 percent, Alexandria Echo Press 5/17/12 10:18 a.m.
- No stadium, but lots of ideas for Arden Hills land, Star Tribune 5/17/12 9:29 p.m.
- GOP faces Paul insurgency at convention; gathering follows tough year for state party, AP 5/17/12 4:16 p.m
- Ron Paulites expected to rule Minnesota Republican convention, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 8:45 p.m.
- Ron Paul adds mystery to Minnesota GOP convention, Duluth News Tribune 5/17/12 4:10 p.m.
- Ron Paul supporters will flex muscles at Minn. GOP convention, MPR
- Green Party presidential candidate to stop in St. Paul, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 6:17 p.m.
- Pawlenty promotes Romney at Cocktails with the Governor, New Ulm Journal
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Panel approves McCollum measure to ban spending on NASCAR, MinnPost 5/17/12 6:05 p.m.
- State buys up 64 pounds of toxic mercury offered on Craigslist, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 5:29 p.m.
- Pesticide drift confirmed from some Minnesota farm fields, MPR
- Responding to demand, state and regional agencies build more trails, MinnPost
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Henn. Co. chair suggests role for county in running Mpls. schools, Star Tribune 5/17/12 9:04 a.m.
- State Sen. Ortman will face GOP primary challenge from Schwichtenberg, MinnPost 5/17/12 2:24 p.m.
- Senjem blames Mankato lobbyist for civic center bonding failure, Mankato Free Press
- Sen: Jobs a ‘work in progress’ in Minnesota, Marshall Independent
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Julianne Ortman: Dayton turned his back on compromise, Minnesotans, Star Tribune 5/17/12 8:45 p.m.
- Erma Vizenor: Session’s over — but the governing is just beginning, Star Tribune 5/17/12 7:58 p.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: In Senate race, a preview of GOP strategy, Star Tribune 5/17/12 7:45 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Reform prospects dim after tax veto, Star Tribune 5/17/12 7:56 p.m.
- The changing face of Minnesota, Star Tribune 5/17/12 9:55 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- St. Paul man charged in shooting that grazed lawmaker’s daughter, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 7:00 p.m.
- Ely wildfire doused after threatening northern Minnesota town, AP 5/17/12 8:28 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Minneapolis panel recommends demolishing Peavey Plaza, Finance and Commerce 5/17/12 1:54 p.m.
- Central Corridor construction’s impact on businesses to be studied, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 6:35 p.m.
- Mpls. City Council committee votes to demolish Peavey Plaza, MPR
- Bridge rehab plans move forward, Winona Daily News 5/17/12 10:43 p.m.