Morning Report 5/17/2012
Published: May 17,2012
Time posted: 9:39 am
- Stebbins, Paulites loom large at GOP convention 5/16/12 3:07 p.m.
- Gaming politics drive tight RNC race 5/16/12 3:08 p.m.
- OLA: Create incentives for local governments to merge 5/16/12 3:04 p.m.
- Steven Schier: Session post-mortem: Minnesota’s uncertain political future 5/16/12 2:59 p.m.
- David Schultz: The lesson of the Vikings stadium: Democracy failed 5/16/12 2:56 p.m.
- Dane Smith: Public investment, not austerity, is road to recovery 5/16/12 2:54 p.m.
- Capitol 10: Annual governor events 5/16/12 2:47 p.m.
- Legislators, lobbyists host Capitol Hill fundraiser for Rick Nolan 5/16/12 3:41 p.m.
- Ortman fails in bid for SD47 GOP endorsement, will face primary 5/16/12 8:38 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Did Star Tribune Copy/Paste Their Education Editorial From A.L.E.C., MN Progressive Project
- PoliGraph: Bakk claim gets history right, Capitol View
- Cravaack claims airport ground security ‘a joke’, Capitol View
- Bachmann sets up state PAC, Hot Dish Politics
- 3 unanswered Vikings stadium planning & financing questions, The Deets
- But let’s be honest here, Shot in the Dark
- Norm Coleman: The sellout has gotten bigger, mnpACT!
- Zellers backs Bills for U.S. Senate, Capitol View
- Gov. Dayton, what about the miners?, Let Freedom Ring
- Seventh District Tinkerbellism outbreak: Andy Parrish to advise Lee Byberg campaign, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Penfield scores a sweet mortgage rate, Finance and Commerce 5/17/12 7:30 a.m.
- Mall of America plans hotel/medical/retail addition, Finance and Commerce 5/16/12 4:17 p.m.
- Interior Department calls Duluth’s casino contract invalid, Duluth News Tribune 5/16/12 1:24 p.m.
- Apple crop mostly survives untimely frost, AP
- Anonymous donor gives $7M to group led by ex-Sen. Norm Coleman, Star Tribune 5/16/12 11:59 a.m.
- Foes of proposed marriage amendment to gather at house parties around Minnesota Sunday, Pioneer Press 5/16/12 12:18 p.m.
- Vying for Klobuchar’s seat, Bills says he can make ‘tough decisions’, MPR
- Nolan draws big names to D.C. fundraiser, Duluth News Tribune 5/17/12 7:00 a.m.
CRIME / POLICE
- Memorial unveiled to Mpls. Park Police officer killed in line of duty, Star Tribune 5/16/12 12:35 p.m.
- Winona State University gets new president, AP 5/16/12 5:53 p.m.
- Mankato schools consider boundary changes, new buildings, Mankato Free Press
- Twin Cities hospital strike averted with contract deal, Pioneer Press 5/17/12 7:22 a.m.
- Minnesota: Wrong-implant surgeries spur state alert, Pioneer Press 5/16/12 1:19 p.m.
- DFL looks to retake majority, Mankato Free Press
- Lawmakers discuss session, New Ulm Journal
- Lawmaker: Communication lapse led to zoo bond mixup, Star Tribune 5/17/12 7:05 a.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Kristen Poppleton: Cravaack plan a troubling backlash against climate-change education, Duluth News Tribune 5/17/12 12:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Parking in St. Paul: Common sense makes progress, Pioneer Press 5/16/12 6:10 p.m.
- A bipartisan high tide: the Nick Coleman era in Minnesota politics, MinnPost 5/16/12 9:00 a.m.
- ‘Brain Gain’ study: People in 30s, 40s still moving to rural Minnesota, MPR
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Woman sues city over political yard signs, AP 5/16/12 9:13 a.m.
- Pregnancy prevention efforts appear to be paying off, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- St. Paul ready to begin discussion about promoting ‘urban agriculture’, Pioneer Press 5/16/12 7:12 p.m.
- St. Paul approves new downtown dog park, Star Tribune 5/16/12 7:08 p.m.
- Sabo Bridge could reopen by June, Star Tribune 5/16/12 12:15 p.m.
- Food trucks again allowed at Fulton Brewing tap room, MSP Business Journal 5/16/12 2:45 p.m.
- Preservationists aim to halt Peavey Plaza redesign in Minneapolis, MPR