Morning Report 4/23/2012
Published: April 23,2012
Time posted: 9:46 am
- Quist/Parry endorsement contest deadlocks after 23 ballots 4/22/12 10:49 a.m.
- Senate committee advances Vikings bill 4/20/12 8:08 p.m.
- Dayton vetoes prohibition on child care union dues 4/20/12 4:29 p.m.
- Session endgame stumps most observers 4/20/12 3:47 p.m.
- Congressional hearing will probe $30 million UCare donation 4/20/12 3:48 p.m.
- Photos: The week that was at the Capitol 4/20/12 3:45 p.m.
- Global deal or no, some bills are moving late in session 4/20/12 3:39 p.m.
- David Strom: Divided government, for the people 4/20/12 3:35 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Senate committee green-lights stadium, Capitol View
- Ensuring The House Prayer Never Again Offends Rep. Franson, The Same Rowdy Crowd
- JoAnn Ward declares run for 53A seat, MN Progressive Project
- The new 4th CD?, Shot in the Dark
- IRRRB transparency provision searches for daylight, Minnesota Brown
- If poor people had Viking clout…hmm, mnpACT!
- Klobuchar makes North Dakota trip, Let Freedom Ring
- Stadium backers don’t believe everything they read, Capitol Chatter
- Zulu Zulu Tango…mayday mayday, Freedom Dogs
- Emo Senator: liquor law karma strikes in First District with no Republican endorsement, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota PUC approves segment of huge transmission project, Finance and Commerce 4/20/12 3:22 p.m.
- Credit unions push for business loans, Finance and Commerce 4/23/12 7:25 a.m.
- Republicans to try again in May to endorse Parry or Quist, Mankato Free Press
- Republicans deadlock over congressional endorsement, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/21/12 5:41 p.m.
- 1st District GOP unable to settle on candidate, AP
- Republicans adjourn in First District, still want to endorse, New Ulm Journal
- DFLers endorse Walz for Congress, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/21/12 5:36 p.m.
- 8th District Republicans endorse Cravaack for 2nd term, Park Rapids Gazette 4/22/12 12:00 a.m.
- Few differences among 8th District Democrats at candidate forum, Duluth News Tribune 4/20/12 12:00 a.m.
- Ron Paul an unlikely force in Minn. Senate race, AP
- Common Cause files IRS complaint against ALEC, AP
- Redistricting has Kline on the offensive, Star Tribune 4/22/12 7:12 a.m.
- Session-ending deal could still be in the cards, Star Tribune 4/23/12 6:14 a.m.
- U of M opens up to open source textbooks, MPR
- Minneapolis high schools to shift to public transit, Star Tribune 4/22/12 10:23 p.m.
- Minnesota protected by state park contract, AP 4/21/12 12:00 a.m.
- Brooklyn Center schools save money with free health clinics, Star Tribune 4/22/12 11:35 p.m.
- Slowly but surely bonding bill moving along, Marshall Independent
- Panel sends Capitol fix-up back to House floor, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/20/12 7:16 p.m.
- Senate GOP pressed on secret legal deal, AP 4/20/12 5:27 p.m.
- Minnesota lawmaker’s letter threatens retaliation against Northland township over board’s mining vote, Duluth News Tribune 4/20/12 8:44 a.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Reform bill is getting sawed in half, Star Tribune 4/21/12 7:09 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Kim Norton: State must protect infrastructure, children’s health, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/21/12 5:02 a.m.
- Sen. Dan Sparks: New law protects those who need it most, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/21/12 5:01 a.m.
- Rep. Mike Benson: When corporations thrive, Minnesota prospers, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/21/12 5:00 a.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Citizen Jackie, Star Tribune 4/22/12 4:35 p.m.
- Elanne Palcich: Minnesota’s wolves: Dead or alive?, MinnPost 4/23/12 5:00 a.m.
- Randy Maluchnik: Voter ID: Analyze policy instead of politics, Red Wing Republican Eagle 4/22/12 6:06 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Don’t cut student days in classroom, Star Tribune 4/22/12 5:58 p.m.
- Editorial: Time for a stadium deal, Pioneer Press 4/21/12 4:45 p.m.
- DFL activist Jackie Stevenson, known as ‘everyone’s mom,’ dies at 77, Pioneer Press 4/22/12 11:33 p.m.
- After redistricting, which legislative districts are vulnerable in 2012 election?, MinnPost 4/23/12 12:02 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- No slowdown for Minneapolis apartment proposals, Finance and Commerce 4/20/12 3:39 p.m.
- Oasis for ‘food desert’ proposed, Pioneer Press 4/22/12 11:48 p.m.
- Grants help fund Twin Cities’ transit-oriented development, MinnPost 4/23/12 12:01 a.m.
- Planners hope to marry 35W, Lake St., Star Tribune 4/22/12 9:26 p.m.
- St. Paul: In battling racism, there is a winner, Pioneer Press 4/23/12 8:05 a.m.