NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Hunting and fishing license fees hike sinks in MN Senate 4/17/12 6:14 p.m.
- Senate ethics panel deadlocks again over DFL complaint against Geoff Michel 4/17/12 10:08 p.m.
- Polly Bowles will seek Downey’s House seat 4/17/12 1:14 p.m.
- Dayton: We’ll do stadium next year if push fails 4/17/12 10:05 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Oppose corporate handouts? Thank the DFL, True North
- Vikings to semi-nomadic existence, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
- Will next Vikings news be about team leaving?, Capitol Chatter
- Who was the stadium flipper?, Capitol View
- The Legislature and the Vikings: finger-pointing into the void, Brick City Blog
- Dayton says stadium bill might have to wait until next year, Hot Dish Politics
- Vikings: There is no next year, Capitol View
- Geoff Michel ethics hearing: move along, nothing to see here, MN Progressive Project
- Senate Ethics panel deadlocks over Michel complaint (again), Capitol View
- What’s so funny about this picture of Erik Paulsen?, MN Progressive Project
- Flip the switch: nuke power back on in Minnesota Senate, The Cucking Stool
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Aircraft company bringing more than 200 jobs to Duluth, MPR
- Turmoil at Best Buy may make it a takeover target, Star Tribune 4/18/12 7:02 a.m.
- Every day is tax day somewhere in Minnesota, MinnPost
- Tea Party launches committee to fight Rochester sales tax, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/16/12 9:01 p.m.
- Quist has money edge over Parry thanks to loan, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/17/12 9:17 a.m.
- Minnesota’s congressional incumbents have $10M to fend off challengers, Pioneer Press 4/17/12 4:37 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Dayton, GOP hammering out tax deal, MPR
- Dayton, GOP leaders discuss how to end session, Pioneer Press 4/17/12 7:18 p.m.
- Dayton, legislative leaders seek session exit strategy, Star Tribune 4/17/12 9:31 p.m.
- Board OKs Mpls. teachers contract that adds four days to school year, Star Tribune 4/17/12 10:32 p.m.
- Mpls. teacher contract approved, MPR
- University agriculture school grows in new areas, MPR
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Bond refinancing nets city savings, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/17/12 8:11 a.m.
- Lyon County sets new voting districts, Marshall Independent
- Goodhue County joins CodeRed weather notification system, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/18/12 7:08 a.m.
- Mayo Clinic included in new Canadian insurance options, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/17/12 8:10 a.m.
- Bill expanding list of legal fireworks clears Senate, AP 4/17/12 7:24 p.m.
- Senate ethics panel deadlocks again over complaint against Sen. Geoff Michel, MinnPost 4/17/12 2:33 p.m.
- Senate puts proposed fishing and hunting license fees hikes on hold, AP 4/17/12 3:23 p.m.
- House passes bill inspired by Burnsville schools’ secret buyout, MinnPost
- Xcel could manage renewable account, Session Daily
- Prevailing wage data nearly derails technical data practices bill, Session Daily
- Sen. says funding plan doomed stadium, Marshall Independent
- I-35E toll-lane plans zoom ahead in Senate, Star Tribune 4/17/12 10:31 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Tom Powers: We raise taxes, or we lose the Vikings. Simple. Now let’s vote, Pioneer Press 4/17/12 7:49 p.m.
- Kent Kaiser: Photo ID: An end to ‘same-day’ registration in Minnesota? Not true, Pioneer Press 4/17/12 5:31 p.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: No pay raise for elected officials — again, Star Tribune 4/17/12 5:03 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- $2.5 million in claims filed against Gang Strike Force, Star Tribune 4/17/12 10:42 p.m.
- Four MN nonprofits win key victory to get $41M from Wells Fargo, Star Tribune 4/17/12 11:16 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Volunteers fix up North Minneapolis homes, Finance and Commerce 4/17/12 6:34 p.m.
- Uptown community task force tackles patio noise problems, MinnPost 4/17/12 10:08 a.m.
- Stalled St. Paul ballpark plan brings youthful lobbying effort to Capitol, MinnPost 4/17/12 11:50 a.m.
- Vikings stadium: Dayton says wait a year; Vikings say no way, Pioneer Press 4/18/12 7:26 a.m.