Morning Report 4/16/12
Published: April 16,2012
Time posted: 9:49 am
- Redistricting pitted a disproportionate number of female legislators against their male counterparts 4/13/12 3:17 p.m.
- DFL primary looms in CD 8 contest 4/13/12 3:07 p.m.
- GOP legislators split on plan to raise hunting and fishing fees 4/13/12 3:18 p.m.
- Tick-tock: Businesses push for Southwest LRT 4/13/12 2:55 p.m.
- Phil Krinkie: Dayton’s dismal record 4/13/12 3:00 p.m.
- Photos: This week at the Capitol 4/13/12 3:15 p.m.
- Barnes, Graves win DFL endorsements for Congress 4/14/12 4:14 p.m.
- Republican Claire Robling to retire from the Senate 4/13/12 9:50 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Cravaack raises $246,000 in first quarter, Capitol View
- Dayton raised $82,000 in first quarter, Capitol View
- ‘Not a pen-pal letter’, Capitol Chatter
- Legislative retirements: The List, Capitol View
- U.S. House incumbent McCollum reports fundraising numbers, Hot Dish Politics
- Constituents ask Rep. Deb Kiel tough questions about vague Voter ID amendment, MN Progressive Project
- SF-based superPAC’s mudslinging against Chip Cravaack, Let Freedom Ring
- Emo Senator: Identity crisis strikes Mike Parry during Almanac’s 1st CD congressional debate, Bluestem Prairie
- ‘Statesmen are vanishing’, mnpACT!
- Light rail kills restaurateur’s dream in St. Paul, Hot Air
- Child care union controversy not over, Capitol Chatter
- Banaian townhall starts with affordable housing, ends with Photo ID, Let Freedom Ring
- Interview with Bachmann challenger Jim Graves, MN Progressive Project
- Nolan wins Range conventions, heading for DFL endorsement, Minnesota Brown
- Emo Senator: the unbearable lightness of MN01 FEC reports; Parry $36,410 COH; Quist, $59,398, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Stimulus program boosts lending in Minnesota by $33 million, Finance and Commerce 4/13/12 5:09 p.m.
- More money for Minnesota entrepreneurs, MPR
- Democrats endorse Graves to run against Bachmann, Star Tribune 4/14/12 6:40 p.m.
- Graves wins DFL nod to challenge Bachmann, MPR
- Washington County: Expect a tight race for House seat among political newcomers, Pioneer Press 4/14/12 9:59 p.m.
- Klobuchar has $5.2M reserved for U.S. Senate race, AP 4/13/12 1:16 p.m.
- Bachmann reports $650,000 banked for congressional campaign, AP 4/13/12 1:21 p.m.
- Parry and Quist battle for Republican endorsement, Rochester Post-Bulletin 4/14/12 9:36 a.m.
- Legislative races rounding into shape, Mankato Free Press
- Dems endorse Suss for SD16 at district convention, Marshall Independent
- Tea partiers rally in Duluth, AP
- Candidates report fund-raising efforts, New Ulm Journal
- Mpls. teachers approve new contract, MPR
- New tool to standardize teacher evaluations in Minn., AP
- Making the case for early ed, Art Rolnick has had ‘enormous impact’, MinPost 4/16/12 12:15 a.m.
- How green is St. Paul, Pioneer Press 4/14/12 9:56 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- An indicator of Anoka County’s economic growth: garbage, Star Tribune 4/14/12 9:40 p.m.
- Rep. Susan Allen offers a unique legislative voice, Star Tribune 4/13/12 11:11 p.m.
- Early fishing opener to be discussed by Senate panel, AP 4/15/12 4:42 p.m.
- Legislature list is heavy on matters of outdoors, Star Tribune 4/14/12 4:22 p.m.
- Vikings stadium faces next high hurdle in House on Monday, Star Tribune 4/15/12 7:05 p.m.
- Stadium bill faces resistance in House committee, WCCO 4/16/12 7:42 a.m.
- Lawmakers return for countdown to final exit, AP 4/15/12 12:04 p.m.
- Legislators double down on deadly force bill support, New Ulm Journal
- Some lawmakers ready to adjourn, West Central Tribune 4/14/12 12:00 a.m.
- Partisanship: the great divide, Marshall Independent
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Tom Huntley: Smoke-free foster care will help youths grow, Duluth News Tribune 4/15/12 12:00 a.m.
- Lori Sturdevant: Sharp strategy for MnSCU. One catch …, Star Tribune 4/14/12 5:01 p.m.
- Randy Maluchnik: Let serious debate begin on voter ID, Star Tribune 4/15/12 8:00 p.m.
- Sam Cook: No need to move Minnesota’s fishing opener, Duluth News Tribune 4/15/12 5:14 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: A final to-do list for the Legislature, Star Tribune 4/14/12 4:50 p.m.
- Editorial: A parent trap for public education, Star Tribune 4/13/12 7:03 p.m.
- Editorial: Examining University of Minnesota pay packages, Pioneer Press 4/14/12 4:58 p.m.
- Editorial: CEO earned his pay at Meet Minneapolis, Star Tribune 4/15/12 8:03 p.m.
- Brodkorb: Senate leak was invasion of his privacy, Star Tribune 4/13/12 8:55 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Vet heard voices, sought help — and was turned away, Star Tribune 4/15/12 6:35 a.m.
- Calling on Hennepin County to handle 911 service, Star Tribune 4/14/12 8:33 p.m.
- Occupy movement pleased with delay in changing Minneapolis plaza rules, MinnPost
- Hennepin, Ramsey prosecutors won’t carry guns on duty, MPR
- Dangerous dogs are a quandary for police, Star Tribune 4/15/12 9:31 p.m.
- St. Paul helps minorities crack into emergency medical services field, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Minneapolis looks to move Kmart, restore Nicollet Avenue, Star Tribune 4/14/12 7:36 p.m.
- MnDOT calls mulligan on bids for I-694, Finance and Commerce 4/16/12 7:40 a.m.
- Businesses, DFLers clamor for SW light rail, MPR