Morning Report 3/9/2012
Published: March 9,2012
Time posted: 9:55 am
- GOP Rep. Bills to run for U.S. Senate 3/8/12 10:02 a.m.
- Sviggum agrees to resign U of M regents post in face of backlash 3/8/12 1:10 p.m.
- House Republicans eye budget reserves to pay back school shift 3/8/12 6:04 p.m.
- Tarryl Clark will run in CD 8 DFL primary 3/8/12 6:53 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- The head-scratching US Senate announcement of Kurt Bills, mnpACT!
- Shaking heads at a Republican disappointment, True North
- Senate GOP makes a power play on Right-to-Work Amendment, Capitol View
- DFL party chair discourages Tarryl Clark from primary run, MN Progressive Project
- Bachmann gets first DFL challenger, Capitol View
- Sviggum quits as regent: ‘This hurts bad’, Capitol Chatter
- Howe backpedals on voter ID compromise, Capitol View
- Dave Thompson moves his anti-union constitutional amendment to another committee, MN Progressive Project
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota’s racino legislation is critical to the fate of Hastings thoroughbred farm, Hastings Star Gazette
- White Earth: Proposed Twin Cities casino key to tribe’s future, MPR
- Mild winter melts profits at N Minn. tourism businesses, MPR
- GOP state Rep. Bills jumps into U.S. Senate race, MPR
- State Rep. Kurt Bills plans to run against Sen. Klobuchar, MinnPost 3/8/12 10:43 a.m.
- Democrat Tarryl Clark says she’ll run in primary for 8th District House seat, AP 3/8/12 7:46 p.m.
- Tarryl Clark to skip DFL convention endorsement process, Duluth News Tribune 3/9/12 12:00 a.m.
- Rohloff seeks DFL endorsement in District 17B, West Central Tribune 3/8/12 3:22 p.m.
- Skogen to seek DFL nod for Senate seat, Alexandria Echo Press 3/9/12 12:00 a.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Bachmann remains strong in reconfigured 6th District, supporters say, MPR
- On Iran, signs of bipartisanship among MN’s delegation, MPR
- Dayton, Republicans differ over plan to repay schools, AP
- Rosemount state Rep. Bills announces run for US Senate, Rosemount Town Pages 3/8/12 10:17 a.m.
- University of Minnesota names new Carlson School dean, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 2:35 p.m.
- Relief, but not much: How forecasted surplus will affect schools, MinnPost 3/8/12 9:36 a.m.
- More than 60 candidates vying to be Winona State University’s new president, Winona Daily News 3/9/12 12:00 a.m.
- U ex-president Bruininks moved $350K to his new post, MPR
- Dayton and Ritchie again tout electronic poll books as Voter ID alternative, MinnPost 3/8/12 3:30 p.m.
- Dayton, Ritchie offer ‘poll book’ as voter-ID alternative, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 11:05 p.m.
- By dog team, ex-lawmaker delivers sulfide mining petitions, MPR
- BWCA visitors are aging: Who will take their place?, MinnPost 3/8/12 10:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- City Council approves Shakopee TIF District, Finance and Commerce 3/8/12 7:07 p.m.
- Carver County and Minneapolis schools praised for transparency in government, MinnPost 3/8/12 9:57 a.m.
- Chamber board sets aside $19,000 for bike initiatives, Jordan Independent
- Winona’s frac sand moratorium, Winona Daily News 3/9/12 12:00 a.m.
- Grassley questions Minn.’s handling of Medicaid funds, MPR
- Does DFL’s proposed birth-control benefit conflict with Obama’s health care efforts?, MinnPost 3/8/12 9:15 a.m.
- Voter ID amendment approved by first committee, Session Daily
- Protesters want Franson to resign, Alexandria Echo Press 3/8/12 3:05 p.m.
- Bill proposes University of Minnesota research center on invasive aquatic species, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 6:19 p.m.
- Minnesota bill calling for return of death penalty won’t last long, MinnPost 3/8/12 9:27 a.m.
- Senate passes environmental permitting bill, MPR
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Keith Downey: Why ‘right to work’ would be good for workers and their unions, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 6:06 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Shutdown measures are a good step, Albert Lea Tribune 3/8/12 10:27 a.m.
- Emotional Sviggum steps down from U of M regents, MPR
- Steve Sviggum agrees to step down as U of M regent at emotion-filled board meeting, MinnPost 3/8/12 12:14 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Child-porn charges against Minnesota House worker: He turns self in, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 1:29 p.m.
- Henn. Co. courthouse screening plan draws criticism, MPR
- Vikings stadium: North suburbs’ Chamber of Commerce calls process ‘unfair’, Pioneer Press 3/8/12 11:42 p.m.