Morning Report 3/7/2012
Published: March 7,2012
Time posted: 9:53 am
- Bills to blunt shutdowns head to Senate floor 3/6/12 11:07 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Plumbers & steamfitters unanimously endorse DFL front runner Rick Nolan, MN Progressive Project
- ‘Hits-for-cash’ bounty scandal rocks Minnesota legislature, The Same Rowdy Crowd
- The Fourth, Shot in the Dark
- Keith the liar, The Cucking Stool
- Rothschild book offers business sense for all social justice enterprises, Growth & Justice
- Sold down the (St. Croix) river, Ripple in Stillwater
- Cost concerns raised over tax credit, Capitol View
- Only in the best families, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
- Voter fraud – found one!, mnPACT!
- Open letter to the legislative GOP caucuses, Shot in the Dark
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Economist sees Rochester as hot spot for job growth, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/7/12 7:52 a.m.
- Minn. retailers mine their customers’ every move for data, MPR
- Tillable land values rise 23 percent, New Ulm Journal
- Iron Range native announces candidacy for District 11A race, Duluth News Tribune 3/6/12 11:22 a.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
CONGRESS – SENATE
- 4-day plan unlikely for District 88, New Ulm Journal
- Minnesota teachers charged with felonies could be suspended without pay in bill that passed state House panel, Pioneer Press 3/6/12 9:32 p.m.
- U of M president will review compensation policy for top administrators, MPR
- School environment improved before lawsuits settled, say students, teachers, MPR
- Opponents look to stop Renville OHV park plan in its tracks, West Central Tribune 3/7/12 12:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Happy Birthday, Hennepin County; you look great for 160!, MinnPost 3/6/12 9:10 a.m.
- Stillwater council just not ready for a new summer festival, Pioneer Press 3/7/12 12:35 a.m.
- Jesson attacks GOP ‘Welfare Reform 2.0’ plan, MinnPost 3/6/12 9:46 a.m.
- Legislators aim to unmask severance packages, AP 3/6/12 3:15 p.m.
- MN Legislators introduce controversial birth control bill, WCCO 3/6/12 5:52 p.m.
- Contraceptives debate appears at the Capitol, Pioneer Press 3/7/12 12:32 a.m.
- Rep. Cornish: Police swayed Dayton’s veto of gun bill, MPR
- Legislators OK unpaid suspensions for teachers, AP 3/6/12 5:04 p.m.
- DFL Sen. Sheran offering shutdown prevention bill, MPR
- Minnesota lawmakers look to blunt pain of future shutdowns, AP 3/6/12 9:11 p.m.
- DNR says it should keep school land duties, Alexandria Echo Press 3/6/12 2:52 p.m.
- Disagreement threatens to derail plan to swap school trust lands, MPR
- Bill would change Minnesota’s ‘move over for emergency vehicles’ law, MinnPost 3/6/12 9:16 a.m.
- What MN legislators have proposed for open-source textbooks, MPR
- Minnesota governor to announce Wednesday date of special election to fill Kubly seat, West Central Tribune 3/6/12 2:49 p.m.
- Some lawmakers want rules loosened on donated game meat, MPR
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Jeanne Poppe: Revenue forecast offers a mixed bag, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/6/12 7:08 a.m.
- Steve Murphy: Government by amendment is lazy, risky, Red Wing Republican Eagle
- Paul Ostrow: Vikings stadium proposal is bad public policy and profoundly unfair, MinnPost 3/7/12 5:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Expand college access for high-schoolers, Pioneer Press 3/6/12 5:28 p.m.
- Dayton orders flags at half-staff Wednesday for ‘Gary Kubly Day’, West Central Tribune 3/6/12 5:11 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Survey: Many Minnesotans still without insurance, MPR
- Anoka-Hennepin settlement: Healing has only just begun, MinnPost 3/6/12 9:15 a.m.
- Prairie Island nuclear plant terminates ‘unusual event’ notice, Red Wing Republican Eagle 3/6/12 1:41 p.m.
- ACLU sues Minnewaska schools in Facebook incidents, MPR
- Time remains to prepare for state’s aging population, says demographer Tom Gillaspy, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Minneapolis, county get planning grants, Finance and Commerce 3/6/12 3:56 p.m.
- Leo A Daly will design Capitol firefighter memorial, Finance and Commerce 3/6/12 4:53 p.m.
- Art Deco landmark spared from redevelopment in St. Paul, Finance and Commerce 3/7/12 7:20 a.m.
- A new park in St. Paul’s future will fill a need in Frogtown, MinnPost 3/6/12 3:14 p.m.
- Backup Vikings stadium-funding plan weighed, AP 3/7/12 2:24 a.m.
St. Croix bridge cost estimate lowered by $14M, MPR