Morning Report 3/5/2012
Published: March 5,2012
Time posted: 10:39 am
- Vikings finally land at the Capitol 3/2/12 3:16 p.m.
- Revenue Commissioner Myron Frans talks about barnstorming for tax reform 3/2/12 3:11 p.m.
- Photos: The week that was at the Capitol 3/2/12 3:16 p.m.
- Good fences make good neighbors 3/2/12 3:17 p.m.
- Phil Krinkie: K-12 shifts: We’ll gladly pay you Tuesday 3/2/12 3:06 p.m.
- Sen. Al DeKruif won’t seek re-election 3/4/12 9:40 p.m.
- Paul Torkelson to move to newly drawn 16B 3/2/12 12:14 p.m.
- Lillie will move into open SD 53 3/2/12 2:39 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Heartless in the heartland: Representative Mary Franson compares feeding food stamp recipients to feeding wild animals, Bluestem Prairie
- Representative Franson’s ‘animals’, The Same Rowdy Crowd
- Close, but no cigar, Mary, The Cucking Stool
- All but one paired incumbent settles on political future, Capitol View
- GOP Talking Points: Ignore that truth behind the curtain, mnpACT!
- Budget debate turns into campaign debate, Capitol Chatter
- Jason Lewis’ gaping omission in attack on nonprofits, Growth & Justice
- Dave Thompson introduces boilerplate Anti-Sharia Law bill, MN Progressive Project
- Pure vapor, Shot in the Dark
- Insatiable!, True North
- Emo Senator: Betrayed by Faribault Daily News, rebuffed by Blue Earth County GOP delegates, Bluestem Prairie
- Former DFL Rep. Will Morgan will run for House District 56B seat in Dakota County, Pioneer Press 3/3/12 12:20 a.m.
- Jewish group cites Torah in campaign against same-sex marriage ban, MPR
- Al Quist, Mike Parry jockey for delegates at county conventions, Mankato Free Press
- Longtime DFL activist, Esko resident to announce candidacy in Minnesota’s District 11A race, Duluth News Tribune 3/4/12 5:02 p.m.
- Local voters value moderate approach to religion in politics, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/2/12 8:39 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
CONGRESS – SENATE
- New tax credit helps Minnesota businesses hire veterans, Alexandria Echo Press 3/4/12 12:25 p.m.
- Gov. Dayton’s crucial days may lie just ahead, Star Tribune 3/4/12 10:54 p.m.
- With stadium plan, Dayton carries on unfortunate legacy of ‘gambling governor’, MinnPost
- Two school districts awarded literacy grants, MPR
- Sviggum offers vigorous defense at contentious regents meeting, MinnPost
- Private schools to keep five-day student week, New Ulm Journal
- Anti-mining crusade mushes through Duluth, Duluth News Tribune 3/5/12 12:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Commission takes deeper look at Wabasha County government, Rochester Post-Bulletin
- Hearing next week on new frac sand mine, Winona Daily News 3/3/12 12:00 a.m.
- Rep. Joe Atkins, DFL-Inver Grove Heights, to seeks sixth term, Pioneer Press 3/2/12 9:42 p.m.
- Redistricting puts House Majority Leader in tough spot, MPR
- Al DeKruif steps out of legislative race, Mankato Free Press
- Lawmakers not sold on stadium plan, Marshall Independent
- Republicans want Twin Cities mayors to appoint school boards, MPR
- Liebling opts against Senate bid, will run again for House seat, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/2/12 10:05 a.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Rep. Rich Murray: Budget forecast shows fiscal plan is working, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/3/12 6:32 a.m.
- Vallay Varro: Effort to retain great teachers in sudden death, Duluth News Tribune 3/3/12 12:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Productive ambition at the ‘U’, Pioneer Press 3/3/12 4:26 p.m.
- A nod to Minnesota’s Vikings: About time, Duluth News Tribune 3/5/12 12:00 a.m.
- The redistricting plan stinks, Faribault County Register
- Sen. Gary Kubly’s funeral services set, Pioneer Press 3/4/12 6:16 p.m.
- Sen. Gary Kubly dies after battle with ALS, MPR
- Sen. Gary Kubly dies, Marshall Independent
- Sen. Gary Kubly remembered as a kind and passionate man and legislator, West Central Tribune 3/3/12 5:11 p.m.
- Minnesota’s state demographer to retire after 32 years, Pioneer Press 3/2/12 10:30 p.m.
- Tom Gillaspy, longtime state demographer, to retire, MinnPost
- GOP consultant, wife injured in car crash, Pioneer Press 3/4/12 11:47 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Washington County: Code Red call system touted for alerts, Pioneer Press 3/3/12 10:25 p.m.
- Medication disposal boxes set up in Hennepin County, MPR
- Settlement could come in Anoka-Hennepin district bullying lawsuit, MPR
- Shouts, snowballs greet white supremacists rally in Duluth (with video), Duluth News Tribune 3/4/12 8:32 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Panel rebuffs Linden Corner, Greco plans, Finance and Commerce 3/2/12 5:01 p.m.
- Target Center gets second look as Vikings stadium bill takes shape, Pioneer Press 3/3/12 6:40 p.m.
- Lawmakers rally around plans for new St. Croix River Bridge, KSTP 3/3/12 8:05 p.m.