Morning Report 3/16/2012
Published: March 16,2012
Time posted: 10:07 am
- Brodkorb’s attorneys threaten to expose other affairs between senators and staffers 3/15/12 1:13 p.m.
- Four-candidates file in Senate District 20 election 3/15/12 11:02 a.m.
- GOP Rep. John Kriesel will not seek re-election 3/15/12 9:27 a.m.
- Former DFL Rep. Doty to run for Senate in open SD 9 3/15/12 8:44 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- House passes bill to tap reserves to pay back schools, Hot Dish Politics
- Kriesel: ‘This is best decision for family’, Capitol Chatter
- District 51: The lobbyist perception conundrum, mnpACT!
- ‘Oceania has always had a higher budget than Eastasia, Winston’, Shot in the Dark
- Key DFLer, Republican clash over Vikings stadium vote counting, Hot Dish Politics
- MN Demagogues Exposed: Extortion attempt and more skeletons to come, MN Progressive Project
- Cal, how many kidneys do you have to sell, The Cucking Stool
- Because Ken Martin says so, that’s why, Shot in the Dark
- Dismayed Franson constituent claims to read her mind: pickup trucks are the new Cadillacs, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota business leaders tout legislative agenda at their Capitol day, MinnPost 3/15/12 8:45 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Rep. Peterson: Next farm bill could boost Red River Valley floodwater retention efforts, Grand Forks Herald 3/15/12 10:36 a.m.
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Klobuchar calls for strong farm safety net during farm bill hearing, Alexandria Echo Press 3/15/12 3:29 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Minnesota: St. Paul’s health care best in U.S., study says, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 8:10 p.m.
- Brodkorb seeks more than $500,000 over firing from his Senate GOP post after affair, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 5:19 p.m.
- Brodkorb threatens to expose other Capitol affairs, AP 3/15/12 7:20 p.m.
- Brodkorb claims others who had affairs with lawmakers treated differently, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/15/12 2:25 p.m.
- Brodkorb asserts other staffers had affairs with government officials, weren’t fired, MPR
- Rep. John Kriesel to step down after one term, MPR
- Dave Senjem faces difficult re-election campaign, MinnPost 3/15/12 10:02 a.m.
- House OKs plan to pay back schools part of $2.4 billion, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 8:55 p.m.
- House GOP approves payment to schools, MPR
- Bill says hospitals must disclose ‘futility policies’, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 8:53 p.m.
- Minnesota Senate panel OKs bill allowing cancer centers, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 9:06 p.m.
- Unreasonable restraint of children tougher penalty approved, Session Daily
- Saints ballpark missing among House panel’s bonding recommendations, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 5:48 p.m.
- Franson’s bill would limit arts spending, Alexandria Echo Press 3/16/12 12:00 a.m.
- Zellers walks fine line on stadium, Star Tribune 3/16/12 6:24 a.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Carla Nelson: Investment in education and job growth will sustain Minnesota’s prosperity, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/16/12 5:01 a.m.
- Rep. Michael Nelson: “Right to work” proposal is unwise, unfair, unnecessary, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 5:39 p.m.
- Erma Vizenor: A better way to fund a stadium, Star Tribune 3/15/12 8:45 p.m.
- Tom Hanson: Supermajority requirements do not lower taxes or spending, Winona Daily News 3/16/12 12:00 a.m.
- David Schultz: The economic and political truth about right-to-work legislation, MinnPost
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Southwest light-rail is good for business, Star Tribune 3/15/12 8:13 p.m.
- Our View: New political map is good for local voters, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/15/12 8:56 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Minnesota’s definition of a gang member to narrow as criteria are revised, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 8:14 p.m.
- Minnesota students look to remove immunity for lawmakers over drunk driving, West Central Tribune 3/16/12 12:00 a.m.
- Vikings stadium bill still stuck in Senate, Pioneer Press 3/15/12 11:48 p.m.
- Commuter rail from Twin Cities to Eau Claire off table for I-94, Star Tribune 3/15/12 9:44 p.m.
- GOP drops plan to raise fares for Metro Transit rail and buses, Star Tribune 3/15/12 10:46 p.m.