Morning Report 3/12/12
Published: March 12,2012
Time posted: 8:30 am
- Capitol veterans think second half of session will be as uneventful as the first 3/9/12 2:47 p.m.
- Transit: Battle brews over suburban opt-outs 3/9/12 2:48 p.m.
- Photos: The week that was at the Capitol 3/9/12 2:46 p.m.
- Legislators weighing only minor changes to the state’s liquor laws in 2012 3/9/12 2:42 p.m.
- David Strom: Voters get no respect 3/9/12 2:36 p.m.
- Dayton revises stadium financing plan 3/9/12 3:14 p.m.
- Mailers pressing GOP senators on right-to-work came from GOP Sen. Chris Gerlach’s mail shop 3/9/12 1:20 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Mourning DeCramer and Kubly: Two ideal public servants from southwestern Minnesota, Growth & Justice
- Vikings stadium would be 4.6% ‘People’s Stadium’, The Deets
- Gerlach aims for fellow Republicans and shoots himself, MN Progressive Project
- A peek at the Vikings stadium bill, Capitol View
- Sunshine, darkness, and privacy: The data practice subcommittee, Open Secrets
- Unions plan to pack right-to-work meeting, Capitol Chatter
- Did Dayton administration defraud the federal government on Medicaid repayment?, Hot Air
- PoliGraph: Bachmann misleads with health care claim, Capitol View
- Tevlin’s anti-scientific approach to economics, True North
- Vikings to plot of land east of Metrodome III — charters and their discontents, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
- The Capitol Direct power of Bob Cummins’ purse: Senator Chris Gerlach’s woman problem, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Minnesota’s jobs creation remains stuck in neutral, AP 3/11/12 12:06 p.m.
- Politicians galore in New Ulm, New Ulm Journal
- St. Cloud attorney Anne Nolan to challenge Michele Bachmann, AP 3/9/12 6:37 p.m.
- DFLer Anne Nolan steps forward to challenge Bachmann, MPR
- Minnesota’s marriage amendment battle: Power of ‘messaging’ may be the key, MinnPost
- What’s really behind Tarryl Clark’s DFL endorsement decision, MinnPost
- Olmsted commissioner Ohly aiming for Senjem seat, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/9/12 4:05 p.m.
- Suss to run for state Senate, New Ulm Journal
- Lyon County DFL meets to select officers, delegates, Marshall Independent
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Walz calls for campaign finance reform, Winona Daily News 3/10/12 12:00 a.m.
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Working to prevent spread of carp, Winona Daily News 3/10/12 12:00 a.m.
- Minnesota hunting and fishing license fee increases could be ‘tough sell’, Duluth News Tribune 3/11/12 9:57 a.m.
- BWCA wildfire aftermath includes campsite closures, AP
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- More relief for Stillwater: New public bathrooms arriving this summer, Pioneer Press 3/10/12 11:47 p.m.
- Wind, silica sand key topics as town board elections approach, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/12/12 6:00 a.m.
- Return of the HMO?, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/10/12 6:01 a.m.
- In response to Grassley, UCare says donation to state was ‘appropriate’, MPR
- State could designate official pipe band, Session Daily
- HMO cash cushions at issue in Legislature, Pioneer Press 3/10/12 11:06 p.m.
- Would a tax break for charitable gambling get Kurt Zellers on board for stadium efforts?, MinnPost
- Watershed districts, cities spar over land use, Session Daily
- Minnesota union workers swamp Capitol for labor vote, Pioneer Press 3/12/12 8:34 a.m.
- Rep. Hosch says he won’t seek re-election, AP 3/10/12 6:09 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Dan Sparks: New baby brings perspective to legislative work, Rochester Post-Bulletin 3/10/12 6:03 a.m.
- Matt Kramer: For Minneapolis, a billion for a Vikings stadium isn’t enough. Seriously?, Pioneer Press 3/10/12 4:56 p.m.
- Meg Reid: Mental health in crisis in rural Minnesota, MinnPost 3/12/12 6:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Vacation pay — $455,000, Pioneer Press 3/10/12 4:56 p.m.
- Editorial: Sviggum does the right thing, Red Wing Republican Eagle 3/10/12 1:00 p.m.
- People before party, Marshall Independent
- A week after car crash, GOP strategist Chris Tiedeman improving, wife still fighting, Pioneer Press 3/11/12 11:41 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Hundreds of non-citizens in MN on edge over health cuts, MPR
- With SE Minn. silica sand mining on pause, groups organize, MPR
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Dayton: Vikings stadium bill has ’50-50′ chance at Capitol, MPR
- As Vikings stadium bill is unveiled, even supporters raise questions, MPR
- More doubts about charitable gambling, even as stadium bill released, MinnPost
- Hennepin opens bids for downtown bridge exam, Finance and Commerce 3/9/12 6:41 p.m.