Morning Report 2/28/2012
Published: February 28,2012
Time posted: 9:54 am
- Redistricting fallout: McFarlane running for House, prominent GOPers look at lege 2/27/12 2:50 p.m.
- Senate approves ‘Last In, First Out’ 2/27/12 1:34 p.m.
- Arwood, Hernandez drop bids to challenge Klobuchar 2/27/12 12:14 p.m.
- DFLers pitch K-12 shift re-payment plan 2/27/12 10:30 a.m.
- Graphic: Intraparty legislator pairings 2/27/12 9:58 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- DFLers call for payback of money borrowed from schools, Hot Dish Politics
- Riches redistributed, True North
- Hernandez takes on CD4 race, True North
- Question for the Capitol media, Shot in the Dark
- Did Ernie Leidiger use campaign funds to pay off his speeding ticket?, Brick City Blog
- Does this map look familiar?, The Cucking Stool
- Bakk’s, Dayton’s priorities: protect casinos, hurt charities, taxpayers, True North
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Summit to spend $6 million on brewery addition, Finance and Commerce 2/27/12 4:29 p.m.
- Minnesota, Wisconsin agree to restore tax reciprocity deal, Pioneer Press 2/28/12 7:51 a.m.
- Ethanol industry lurches in wake of lost subsidy, oversupply, MPR
- Anthony Hernandez, Joe Arwood drop GOP bids to unseat Amy Klobuchar, AP 2/27/12 5:48 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Bachmann: St. Croix Bridge bill scheduled for a vote, MinnPost 2/27/12 7:17 p.m.
- Stillwater Bridge vote in U.S. House planned this week, Pioneer Press 2/28/12 7:39 a.m.
- In Rushford, officials hope state bonding bill will fund new school, MPR
- Ad-hoc regents committee to discuss Sviggum case Friday, MPR
- Bill would start Minn. wolf season on deer opener, AP
- Supreme Court rejects emergency carp measures, AP
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Winona planning commission backs more rules for frac sand operations, Winona Daily News 2/28/12 12:00 a.m.
- Samuels jumps into race for Henn. Co. commisioner, MPR
- Recall against Wabasha commissioner dismissed, Winona Daily News 2/27/12 11:01 a.m.
- City mulls county offer on library, Mankato Free Press
- Wabasha County slashes levy 7.7%, Winona Daily News 2/28/12 12:00 a.m.
- Senate passes teacher layoffs bill, AP
- Senate votes against teacher seniority, Alexandria Echo Press 2/28/12 6:04 a.m.
- Republicans target abortion clinics with new restrictions, MPR
- Two bills increase abortion regulation, Pioneer Press 2/27/12 9:23 p.m.
- Legislation would require in-person visit for abortions, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/27/12 10:50 a.m.
- State budget forecast is Wednesday, sets the map for Legislature, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/27/12 9:08 a.m.
- ‘Racino’ touted as way to fund stadium, Pioneer Press 2/27/12 9:37 p.m.
- Plan closes tax loopholes, gives schools $2B, Pioneer Press 2/27/12 9:24 p.m.
- Carol McFarlane’s bid could force Matt Dean into House redistricting matchup, Pioneer Press 2/27/12 3:45 p.m.
- Senator from Elysian won’t see re-election in new district, Mankato Free Press
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- David Olson: Let’s keep best teachers in the classroom, Red Wing Republican Eagle 2/27/12 1:00 p.m.
- Paul Meunier: Filling the learning gap helps close the achievement gap, MinnPost 2/28/12 5:00 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Prescription opiates a gateway to heroin, especially in Minn., MPR
- Changing times require rethinking rural leadership roles, Marshall Independent
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- State seeks move for north Minneapolis workforce center, Finance and Commerce 2/28/12 7:30 a.m.