NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- ‘Castle Doctrine’ bill passes Senate 2/23/12 6:28 p.m.
- GOP Vikings pitch ties funding to business tax cuts 2/23/12 10:34 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Fireworks on lawmakers’ agenda, Capitol Chatter
- Dayton rejects latest Vikings stadium bid, Capitol View
- Benson kicks off SD31 campaign, Residual Forces
- Here comes the hit again, Shot in the Dark
- Redistricting fallout continues, Capitol View
- To the GOP, Poor = Villain, Rich = Victim, mnpACT
- Redistricting: Southwest Metro opportunities, MN Progressive Project
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Manufacturers resigned to new lending rules, Finance and Commerce 2/23/12 4:37 p.m.
- Postal Service reshuffles Minn. mail processing, AP
- Mankato’s mail processing facility to close, Mankato Free Press
- Rochester postal processing operation to close, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/23/12 1:44 p.m.
- Mayo’s ambitious construction schedule to help community, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/23/12 12:00 p.m.
- Mankato among bright spots in filling manufacturing positions, Mankato Free Press
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Franken rep: Cuts certain for farm bill, Winona Daily News 2/24/12 12:00 a.m.
CRIME / POLICE
- Dayton signs bill to close gap in public notifications of sex offender release, MPR
- Dayton heads to Washington for governors meeting, AP 2/24/12 8:10 a.m.
- Controversial Goodhue wind farm environmental impact plan rejected, MPR
- Minnesota’s moose population continues to fall, MPR
- Feds plan to spend $51.5M on 2012 Asian carp fight, AP 2/23/12 2:50 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- City of Willmar staff find ways to cut $280K, West Central Tribune 2/23/12 12:00 a.m.
- Mayo Clinic to spend $3.5 billion on capital projects, Finance and Commerce 2/23/12 4:20 p.m.
- Legislators begin introducing new stadium ideas, West Central Tribune 2/24/12 12:00 a.m.
- Senate passes bill that expands use of deadly force, MPR
- Minnesota Senate approves bill broadening use of deadly force in self-defense, Pioneer Press 2/24/12 12:11 a.m.
- Deadly force bill now on fast track to Gov. Dayton, AP 2/23/12 7:07 p.m.
- Rep. Howes supports proposal for new St.Paul Saints ballpark, MPR
- New management for school trust lands bill advances, MPR
- ‘Welfare Reform 2.0’ moves ahead, but met with anger at Legislature, MinnPost 2/23/12 10:41 a.m.
- Bill would extend Minnesota’s prone restraint law until late 2013, MPR
- Mankato group plugs civic center funding in Legislature, Mankato Free Press
- Quam, Murray OK bill limiting local moratoriums, send to House floor, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/23/12 9:31 a.m.
- Ingebrigtsen supports bill on environmental permits, Alexandria Echo Press 2/24/12 12:00 a.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Grand jury investigating alleged Twitter threat against Bachmann, MinnPost 2/23/12 6:13 p.m.
- Anoka-Hennepin superintendent ‘sincerely’ apologizes for voice mail, MPR
- Kiffmeyer will seek Senate seat in redrawn district, St. Cloud Times 2/24/12 12:16 a.m.
- New maps guarantee new faces at Capitol, Alexandria Echo Press 2/24/12 12:00 a.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- St. Paul Saints push own stadium proposal at Capitol, Pioneer Press 2/23/12 11:36 p.m.
- Sabo Bridge remains closed over safety concerns, MPR
- Last year’s redistricting of St. Paul’s wards didn’t change much, MinnPost 2/23/12 9:49 a.m.
- Minneapolis Council Member Diane Hofstede intrigued by stadium’s construction jobs, MinnPost 2/23/12 10:14 a.m.
- Vikings: New stadium plan unworkable, Pioneer Press 2/23/12 11:39 p.m.
- Another Vikings stadium funding proposal unveiled, unloved, MinnPost 2/23/12 4:05 p.m.
- Shaping the feel of the Southwest Corridor, Finance and Commerce 2/23/12 2:56 p.m.
- Planning moves forward for Interchange project, Finance and Commerce 2/23/12 4:27 p.m.
- Stillwater to lose key ally of bridge plan: Michele Bachmann, MPR
- Construction resumes soon on LRT project, MinnPost 2/23/12 9:12 a.m