NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- State redistricting maps set for Tuesday release 2/20/12 11:28 a.m.
- Bachmann calls for legislation mandating Medicaid audits 2/20/12 1:00 p.m.
- State DFL chair admonishes St. Paul party officials over endorsement process 2/20/12 3:18 p.m.
- House passes urgency measure for sex offender notification bill 2/20/12 3:32 p.m.
- Shutdown-related bills are moving through Senate 2/20/12 4:29 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Will new map bring Minnesota more competitive US House races?, Smart Politics
- House OKs sex offender notification; Hilty objects to rush, Capitol Chatter
- TakeAction Minnesota condemns racist online imagery pushed by MN Majority, photo ID supporters, MN Progressive Project
- Racism alleged in voter ID campaign, Capitol View
- Bachmann returns, with a bipartisan call to action, Hot Dish Politics
- Sen. Bakk’s Vikings stadium proposal doesn’t add up, Let Freedom Ring
- Awaiting the Redistricting, Mr. Dilettante’s Neighborhood
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Battle is brewing for business borrowers, Finance and Commerce 2/20/12 5:21 p.m.
- Businesses seeing reward from Grove City loan program, West Central Tribune 2/21/12 12:00 a.m.
- DFL-backed organizations set sights on winning Legislature, MPR
- Tim Pawlenty pays down debt from presidential campaign, Politico 2/20/12 7:27 p.m.
- DFLers highlight Cravaack family move to New Hampshire, MinnPost 2/20/12 12:25 p.m.
CONGRESS – HOUSE
- Bachmann wants Medicaid rates to get closer scrutiny, Pioneer Press 2/20/12 11:53 p.m.
- Bachmann plans run regardless of redistricting, AP 2/20/12 11:52 a.m.
- Secretary of State Mark Ritchie offers Voter ID alternative: electronic poll books, MinnPost 2/20/12 3:24 p.m.
- Trust for Public Land facing scrutiny on fees, donations, Star Tribune 2/21/12 1:10 a.m.
- Smaller, renewable energy projects setting roots across west central Minnesota, West Central Tribune 2/21/12 12:00 a.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Buffalo County issues fourth frac sand mine permit, Winona Daily News 2/21/12 12:00 a.m.
- Public health director may also lead Kandiyohi County family services on interim basis, West Central Tribune 2/20/12 12:00 a.m.
- Zumbrota seeks federal grant for land purchase, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/20/12 8:54 p.m
- Sen. Miller: Not so fast on constitutional amendments, Winona Daily News 2/21/12 12:00 a.m.
- Bills to prevent future state shutdowns shut down, Mankato Free Press
- Legislators propose sunset law on rules created by state agencies, MPR
- Rep. Mindy Greiling on how redistricting changes a politician’s home turf, MPR
- Tuesday will be most stressful day of the decade for most Minnesota legislators, MinnPost 2/20/12 9:30 a.m.
- House committee advances bill banning union dues deductions from child-care subsidy payments, Pioneer Press 2/20/12 3:23 p.m.
- Senate OKs bill requiring teachers pass basic skills test, now moves to Gov. Dayton, AP 2/20/12 2:26 p.m.
- House passes sex offender notification bill, AP
- With Brodkorb gone, new GOP Senate style emerges, MinnPost 2/20/12 9:45 a.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Ken Harycki: Respect Stillwater’s history, Rep. McCollum, Pioneer Press 2/20/12 6:10 p.m.
- Julie Johnson and Christopher Decker: Senators should inspire others to oppose pharmacy merger, Duluth News Tribune 2/21/12 12:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Senjem’s statement earns a place among the most preposterous, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/21/12 7:37 a.m.
- Editorial: Cigarette tax hits low incomes again, Albert Lea Tribune 2/20/12 12:50 p.m.
- Josh Wise is new director of Minnesota Fair Trade Coalition, MinnPost 2/20/12 1:01 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- State is auditing autism centers, including Rochester one, Rochester Post-Bulletin
- State’s largest county notes 38% drop in violent crime, MPR
- Mapping out politics in Minnesota, Marshall Independent
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- In St. Paul’s Ward 3, endorsing process criticized, Pioneer Press 2/20/12 11:50 p.m.
- Minnesota Vikings stadium talks in holding pattern, Pioneer Press 2/20/12 11:52 p.m.
- Recent exam failed to detect weak Sabo Bridge cable, Finance and Commerce 2/20/12 5:00 p.m.
- Mpls. pedestrian bridge remains closed after cable support breaks, KSTP 2/21/12 8:19 a.m.