Morning Report 2/15/2012
Published: February 15,2012
Time posted: 9:48 am
- Two GOP freshmen propose doubling cigarette tax 2/14/12 10:21 a.m.
- Minnesota ACLU board targets constitutional amendments 2/14/12 8:33 a.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- The real State Of The State, Shot in the Dark
- MN Senate to reimburse taxpayers for cost of ‘partisan’ literature, Hot Dish Politics
- Registration errors does not equal voter fraud, mnpACT!
- Debunking the DFL’s ‘Jobs Bill’ mantra, Let Freedom Ring
- Cravaack at center of FAA battle in Congress, Hot Dish Politics
- Grand Meadow, Wanamingo looking to get a piece of Roch sales tax, Political Notebook
- Run Pete Run, Residual Forces
- Opponents of Photo ID see threat to same-day registration, Hot Dish Politics
- Another player takes the stadium field, Capitol View
- MN-08: Powerhouse Teamsters Union Endorses Rick Nolan, MN Progressive Project
- Desperate Impact, Shot in the Dark
- Gov. Dayton, there’s a Gerry Mander on line 3, Residual Forces
- Emo Senator: Amnesia plot twist thickened as Mike Parry forgot which office he was running for, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Dayton’s State of the State faces skeptical GOP, AP
- Dayton going for hopeful in State of the State address, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 11:07 p.m.
- Dayton welcomes federal investigation of MN Medicaid, MPR
- Dayton urges businesses to adopt a school, KSTP 2/14/12 2:53 p.m.
- State of the State – An Evening Affair?, Legislative Reference Library
- St. Paul teachers union approves proposed contract, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 6:14 p.m.
- Educator: More partnerships to build learning opportunities, MPR
- Cottage Grove high school’s new principal says education is about ‘heart and passion’, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 4:27 p.m.
- Integration task force forwarding results to Cassellius, MinnPost
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Dakota County explores teaming up with Hennepin County for morgue services, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 6:15 p.m.
- White Bear Lake development plan for boat works site back before city, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 2:08 p.m.
- Minnesota city buys peaceful solution to train noise; may not be feasible for other towns, Duluth News Tribune 2/15/12 7:26 a.m.
- Who pays for road damage from frac sand trucks?, Winona Daily News
- Rochester City Council looks for more budget information on nonprofit agencies, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/14/12 10:36 a.m.
- Mayo Clinic signs California genome sequencing firm, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/14/12 9:17 a.m.
- House panel debates end to Minn. business property tax, MPR
- Minnesota Senate’s private talks haven’t stopped the public rift between DFL and GOP, MinnPost 2/14/12 11:11 a.m.
- Bill would raise speed limit on 55 mph roads to 60 mph, MPR
- Bill for stricter Minn. welfare rules stalls in Senate, AP
- Rural cities’ group opposes super-majority tax-increase plan, MinnPost 2/14/12 1:44 p.m.
- GOP legislators shrug off rock-bottom poll numbers, MinnPost
- Legislators propose removing school trust land from DNR management, MPR
- Senate GOP admits ‘mistake,’ will reimburse Minnesota for partisan brochures, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 5:53 p.m.
- Senjem to introduce Rochester veterans museum bill, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/14/12 9:01 p.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Sen. Al Franken: A divided Congress should agree on making our courthouses safe, Duluth News Tribune 2/14/12 12:00 a.m.
- David C. Olson: Dayton should support reasonable legal reforms, MinnPost
- Joe Soucheray: If voter ID means certain people won’t vote, that’s perfect, Pioneer Press 2/15/12 12:27 a.m.
- Lee McGrath: Create Minnesota jobs with bipartisan reform of licensing regulations, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 7:07 p.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: Regulation = cost = disparate impact, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 7:08 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Tenacious local group wants new route for CapX 2020, St. Cloud Times 2/15/12 6:16 a.m.
- Minnesota high-school students taking Adderall to boost academic performance, MinnPost
- Minnesota’s congressional redistricting, MinnPost
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- St. Paul hires lobbying firm to push for Saints ballpark, MinnPost 2/14/12 12:47 p.m.
- Vikings to stay in Minnesota for 2012 season, MPR
- Vikings say they are not leaving as NFL relocation deadline nears, Pioneer Press 2/14/12 6:45 p.m.