NEWS FROM POLITICS IN MINNESOTA / CAPITOL REPORT
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Shadow of Brodkorb still hangs over Senate 2/10/12 1:15 p.m.
- Property tax fix is politically fraught 2/10/12 3:11 p.m.
- Legacy outdoors bill moves ahead 2/10/12 3:06 p.m.
- A bet on debt: Gambling dollars for a stadium 2/10/12 2:53 p.m.
- Dayton vetoes four tort bills 2/10/12 9:41 a.m.
- U of M Board of Regents chair: Sviggum’s Senate job is a conflict 2/10/12 12:18 p.m.
- Margaret Martin: Lessons from unemployment 2/10/12 3:00 p.m.
BEST OF THE BLOGS
- Local journalism’s Bachmann failure, The Same Rowdy Crowd
- Teddy Roosevelt’s progressive speech on Lincoln’s birthday, Growth & Justice
- Saint Paul takes a dive, Fraters Libertas
- Gov. Dayton’s battle versus The Clowns continues, MN Progressive Project
- Gov. Dayton, Who’s the extremist?, Let Freedom Ring
- Magnetation still considering Range, Superior sites, Minnesota Brown
- Proposal asks Minnesota’s renters to pay the price to end business property tax, MN Budget Bites
- Chanting Points Memo: Nothing Here But Us Extremists, Shot in the Dark
- The Crisis (of credibility): Mike Parry discusses “common sense”; Tom Paine rolls over in grave, Bluestem Prairie
BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- Gambling a big surprise in new KSTP/Survey USA poll, KSTP 2/12/12 10:30 p.m.
- Super PACs, outside groups prepare onslaught in 8th District, MPR
- Rochester banker to run for Minnesota House as DFLer, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/11/12 9:23 a.m.
CONGRESS – SENATE
- Sen. Al Franken criticizes defense act as Occupy rally targets California Democrats, AP 2/11/12 11:04 p.m.
- Klobuchar: Employer wellness programs can cut sick leave 25 percent, Alexandria Echo Press 2/11/12 1:56 p.m.
- Dayton vetoes GOP civil litigation bills, AP
- Dayton touts Ramsey County, rips Minneapolis council on stadium efforts, MinnPost 2/10/12 2:07 p.m.
- Special education gets fresh look in Minnesota schools, Pioneer Press 2/11/12 10:27 p.m.
- Cassellius: No Child waiver shows law wasn’t working, MPR
- Forrest Boe to head state DNR Division of Forestry, Pioneer Press 2/10/12 4:52 p.m.
GOVERNMENT – LOCAL
- Mild Minnesota winter lets public works get jump on spring, Pioneer Press 2/12/12 6:02 p.m.
- Frac sand hearing Monday, Winona Daily News 2/11/12 12:00 a.m.
- Houston County considers silica sand mining moratorium, Rochester Post-Bulletin
- Woodbury’s soccer ‘bubble’ days are nearing an end, Pioneer Press 2/11/12 9:41 p.m.
- Houston County property lawsuit dismissed, Winona Daily News 2/11/12 12:00 a.m.
- Minn. city councilman defends his Confederate flag, AP 2/13/12 8:54 a.m.
- Minnesota groups watch and wait on Obama’s health policy compromise, MPR
- Mayo Clinic lobbying to allow nurses to practice across state lines, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/10/12 9:10 a.m.
- Minnesota GOP wants to cut business property taxes, Pioneer Press 2/11/12 9:33 p.m.
- After botched staff firing, assertive Commission members push their independence, MinnPost 2/10/12 3:25 p.m.
- Rhetoric up, cooperation down at Capitol, Alexandria Echo Press 2/11/127:29 p.m.
- Constitutional amendment proposals carry GOP dreams, West Central Tribune 2/13/12 12:00 a.m.
- Legislators respond to property tax complaints, St. Cloud Times 2/11/12 11:49 p.m.
- Austin lawmakers back bill to toughen penalties for child abuse, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/11/12 9:23 a.m.
- Venture capital credit could complement angel investor credit, Session Daily
- Byron, La Crescent officials ask lawmakers for help, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/10/12 11:08 a.m.
OPINION – COMMENTARY
- Thomas B. Aitken: Politics has no place in health-care exchanges, Duluth News Tribune 2/12/12 12:00 a.m.
OPINION – EDITORIAL
- Editorial: A waiver’s all the rage, but don’t overlook the value of NCLB, Pioneer Press 2/11/12 3:53 p.m.
- Demand for sand gives counties leverage, Rochester Post-Bulletin 2/11/12 6:42 a.m.
- Sartell does kids right by ending talk of fee hikes, St. Cloud Times 2/12/12 11:16 p.m.
PUBLIC HEALTH / SAFETY
- Even critics of safety net depend on it increasingly, New York Times
- Family, sheriff at odds over death in jail of accused Minnesota courthouse shooter, Duluth News Tribune 2/12/12 6:00 a.m.
- Dakota County adult felony charges up 17% in 2011, Pioneer Press 2/11/12 9:39 p.m.
SAINT PAUL / MINNEAPOLIS
- Crumbling Minn. Capitol reaches ‘tipping point’, AP
- Landlords’ suit against St. Paul over ‘problem properties’ going to trial, MPR
- Strong convention tourism expected in 2012, MPR
- Minneapolis City Council delays action on Bottineau Transitway, MinnPost 2/10/12 1:26 p.m.
- Minnesota Capitol building needs $241 million restoration, experts say, AP 2/12/12 11:43 p.m.